What does it mean when the eom of a field is trivially satisfied?

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer that question. In summary, the conversation discusses the relationships between fields ##a##, ##b## and ##c## and their corresponding equations of motion. It is stated that if ##E_a## is a linear combination of ##E_b## and ##E_c## with field-dependent coefficients, and ##E_b## and ##E_c## are satisfied, then ##E_a## is automatically satisfied. The question is then asked about the nature of field ##a##, but without clear definitions of the symbols, it is difficult to answer. One possible interpretation is that only 2 of the 3 fields are dynamically independent.
Baela
If a Lagrangian has the fields ##a##, ##b## and ##c## whose equations of motion are denoted by ##E_a, E_b## and ##E_c## respectively, then if
\begin{align}
E_a=f_1(a,b,c)\,E_b+f_2(a,b,c)\,E_c
\end{align}
where ##f_1## and ##f_2## are some functions of the fields, if ##E_b## and ##E_c## are satisfied, then ##E_a## is automatically satisfied.

Does this tell us anything particular about the nature of field ##a##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without clear definitions of your symbols there's no way to answer your question. Where do you get this from?

Which symbol do you need clarification for? My question is pretty general. I can't see what part you are confused about.

You don't give any definition of your symbols. How can you expect that anybody can understand what they mean?

vanhees71 said:
You don't give any definition of your symbols. How can you expect that anybody can understand what they mean?
For background, the OP also started this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...t-gauge-transformations.1051286/#post-6871749 (although they never returned to it as promised). My understanding of their notation is: ##a(x), b(x), c(x)## are spacetime fields individually satisfying the 3 Euler-Lagrange (field) equations ##E_{a}(a(x))=0, E_{b}(b(x))=0, E_{c}(c(x))=0##. I think they want to know the consequences if ##E_{a}(a(x))## happens to be a linear-combination, with field-dependent coefficients, of ##E_{b}(b(x)),E_{c}(c(x))##. My answer is that it simply means only 2 of the 3 fields are dynamically independent.

Likes Baela

Related to What does it mean when the eom of a field is trivially satisfied?

What does it mean when the EOM of a field is trivially satisfied?

When the equation of motion (EOM) of a field is trivially satisfied, it means that the field configuration makes the EOM identically zero without imposing any non-trivial constraints on the field. This often indicates that the field configuration is a solution to the EOM in a very straightforward or obvious manner, such as the field being zero everywhere.

In what contexts might the EOM of a field be trivially satisfied?

The EOM of a field might be trivially satisfied in contexts such as vacuum solutions, where the field is zero or constant, or in cases where the field configuration is chosen to be a special solution that simplifies the EOM to an identity. This can occur in both classical and quantum field theories.

Does a trivially satisfied EOM imply the field has no dynamics?

Not necessarily. A trivially satisfied EOM implies that the specific field configuration considered does not evolve according to the usual dynamics described by the EOM. However, other configurations of the field might still exhibit non-trivial dynamics. It simply means that the particular solution is static or simple in nature.

Can a non-zero field configuration trivially satisfy the EOM?

Yes, a non-zero field configuration can trivially satisfy the EOM if it leads to the EOM being an identity. For example, a constant field configuration might satisfy certain EOMs trivially if the derivatives of the field vanish, making the EOM identically zero.

How does a trivially satisfied EOM affect the physical interpretation of a field theory?

A trivially satisfied EOM can indicate special or degenerate cases within the field theory. It might point to symmetries, conserved quantities, or special solutions that are of particular interest. However, it does not provide information about the general behavior of the field, which requires examining non-trivial solutions of the EOM.