What does it means to say two events are simultaneously observed?

In summary, The conversation discusses the mechanics of a problem involving a star moving away from the Earth at 0.60c and two simultaneous explosions observed in a coordinate system S. The question is whether the observer in S would see the explosions at the same time or if there would be a delay due to the distance of the star. It is determined that in the coordinate system S, the two events have the same time coordinate and the delay would depend on the observer's velocity, not their position.
Fewmet
This is not homework problem, but I am using a problem from Elementary Modern Physics by Weidner and Sells as context for my question. It reads
"A star is moving away from the Earth at 0.60c as measured in inertial system S, at rest with respect to the earth. At time t=0, when the star is 1.0 x 109 light years (ly) away, the two following events occur simultaneously as observed in S: (1) a bomb explodes nearby on earth; (2) a bomb explodes on the moving star.

"Give the space and time coordinates for events 1 and 2 in S', at rest with respect to the star..."

I know the mechanics of solving the problem correctly, but I wonder about the language. Does this mean that light from both explosions enters the eyes of the observer in S at the same instant? Or does it mean that the observer sees light of the explosion on Earth and then 1 billion years later sees light from the bomb on the star and calculates that the two explosion were simultaneous?

Physics news on Phys.org
It means that in the coordinate system S both events have the same time coordinate; the second of the two options you propose. Your first option would additionally depend on the location of the observer, which is not given.

Timo said:
It means that in the coordinate system S both events have the same time coordinate; the second of the two options you propose. Your first option would additionally depend on the location of the observer, which is not given.

Thanks, Timo.

I'm not trying to be picky, but your last sentence makes me think I might be missing something. Don't both depend on the location of the observer in S?

Unless I am mistaken somewhere the 2nd case should depend only on the observer's velocity (which is dictated by S), but not on his position. There's a lot of possible ways to explain that, but I guess with the emphasis on "depends on velocity, not on position" you should be able to make up your own explanation, which is probably preferable over me picking one that I consider appropriate.

FAQ: What does it means to say two events are simultaneously observed?

What does it mean to say two events are simultaneously observed?

Simultaneously observing two events means that they are both being observed at the same time, without any delay or interruption.

How can two events be simultaneously observed?

Two events can be simultaneously observed by having multiple observers or cameras recording the events at the same time.

Why is it important to note that two events are simultaneously observed?

Noting that two events are simultaneously observed is important because it allows for more accurate and reliable data collection and analysis.

What is an example of two events being simultaneously observed?

An example of two events being simultaneously observed is a car crash being recorded by two different cameras from different angles.

Is it possible for two events to be simultaneously observed but perceived differently?

Yes, it is possible for two events to be simultaneously observed but perceived differently due to differences in perspective, attention, and interpretation.

Back