What does max notation mean in polynomial degree calculations?

• Thread starter DeldotB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses a notation question about the meaning of max\left \{ deg(f),deg(g) \right \}. It is explained that this notation means to select the item within the braces which has the maximum value, and it is used in the context of showing the degrees of polynomials.
DeldotB
Hello all,

I have a very quick quesion:
(This is not a HW question, its simply a notation question)

I need to show for [itex]f,g \in K[x] [/itex] (where K is a field and K[x] is the set of polynomials) that
[itex] deg(fg)=deg(f)+deg(g) [/itex] and [itex]deg(f+g) \leq max\left \{ deg(f),deg(g) \right \} [/itex]

My question is: what does [itex]max\left \{ deg(f),deg(g) \right \} [/itex] mean? I know what deg(f) means, I am wondering about the bracket notation i.e what does [itex]max\left \{ a,b \right \} [/itex] mean?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DeldotB said:
Hello all,

I have a very quick quesion:
(This is not a HW question, its simply a notation question)

I need to show for [itex]f,g \in K[x] [/itex] (where K is a field and K[x] is the set of polynomials) that
[itex] deg(fg)=deg(f)+deg(g) [/itex] and [itex]deg(f+g) \leq max\left \{ deg(f),deg(g) \right \} [/itex]

My question is: what does [itex]max\left \{ deg(f),deg(g) \right \} [/itex] mean? I know what deg(f) means, I am wondering about the bracket notation i.e what does [itex]max\left \{ a,b \right \} [/itex] mean?

Thanks!
It means to select the item within the braces which has the maximum value.

Likes aikismos
Thanks

Related to What does max notation mean in polynomial degree calculations?

What is notation?

Notation is a system of symbols and rules used to represent mathematical or scientific concepts and ideas. It is a way to communicate complex ideas in a concise and standardized manner.

Why is notation important?

Notation allows for clear and precise communication among scientists and researchers. It also allows for complex concepts to be expressed in a compact and efficient way, making it easier to understand and work with mathematical and scientific ideas.

What are the different types of notation?

There are many different types of notation used in various fields of science and mathematics. Some common types include mathematical notation, scientific notation, chemical notation, musical notation, and programming notation.

How is notation developed and standardized?

Notation is typically developed and standardized through collaboration among scientists and researchers in a particular field. It undergoes rigorous testing and refinement to ensure its accuracy and effectiveness in communicating ideas.

Can notation be changed or updated?

Yes, notation can be changed or updated as new discoveries or advancements are made in a particular field. However, changes are usually made with careful consideration and must be widely accepted by the scientific community before becoming the standard notation.