What does Pt mean in this formula?

In summary, the conversation is about the Hulse Taylor Binary and the change in periode that changes with the period. The topic of Pt and P1year is discussed, with Pt being the period as a function of time and P1year being the change in orbital period after 1 year. The formula for calculating Pt and deltaP1year is also mentioned.
Meerio
So I'm trying to understand something about the Hulse Taylor Binary. Here they talk about the change in periode that actually changes with the period. So what does Pt mean here?
And what is actually being explained? P1year also makes no sense to me. Is that the period after one year? And what is deltaP1year?
I'm sorry but I'm quite confused about the formula.
Thx for any help

http://astronomy.stackexchange.com/...is-cumulative-periastron-time-shift-calculate
21142412.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Pt is the period as function of time, later evaluated at t=1 year and t=10 years.

##\Delta## P1year is the change in orbital period after 1 year relative to the original period. As you can see, the change in period over 10 years is nearly 10 times the change of period over 1 year, indicating a linear change of period over time - within the current timeframe and experimental precision.

Likes Meerio

FAQ: What does Pt mean in this formula?

What does Pt mean in this formula?

Pt is the chemical symbol for platinum, an element on the periodic table. It is often used in chemical formulas to indicate the presence of platinum in a compound.

Why is Pt used in this formula?

Pt may be used in a formula for a variety of reasons, such as being a catalyst or having a specific chemical property that is necessary for the reaction to occur.

What role does Pt play in this formula?

The role of Pt in a formula can vary depending on the specific compound being studied. It may act as a reactant, catalyst, or as a stabilizing agent.

Is Pt necessary in this formula?

In some cases, Pt may be necessary for the reaction to occur. However, in other cases, it may simply enhance the reaction or have no significant impact at all.

How does Pt affect the properties of this formula?

The presence of Pt in a formula can affect its physical and chemical properties, such as its melting point, reactivity, and stability. These effects will depend on the specific compound and the amount of Pt present.

Back