What does the energy level diagram for Lithium-6 mean and how do I interpret it?

In summary, the conversation is about an energy level diagram for Lithium-6 found on the internet from Duke University's department of Physics. The equation for the 13.3 MeV energy level is being questioned, specifically the meaning of the minus (-) alpha. It is explained that any particles with a minus sign are on the output side of the process, in this case the reaction is Li7 + He3 -> Li6 + He4 (alpha). The binding energy of Li6 is also discussed and compared to the Ikeda Threshold Rule. The interpretation of the minus sign for the alpha is clarified, stating that the alpha particle is a matter particle and not anti-matter. The observation made by the person is not fully understood.
Salman2
Can anyone help with interpretation of this energy level diagram for Lithium-6 I found on internet--it is from the Duke University department of Physics.

http://www.tunl.duke.edu/nucldata/figures/06figs/06_03_2002.pdf

I am not sure I understand the equation for the 13.3 MeV energy level predicted--what exactly does it mean to have a minus (-) alpha ? Does this mean the energy of the alpha (~28.2957 MeV) is to be subtracted from the other members ? Is this alpha a type of negative energy potential, perhaps from antimatter ?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any of the particles with a minus sign are on the output side of the process which is leading to Li6.

In the case you are asking about, the reaction is Li7 + He3 -> Li6 + He4 (alpha).

mathman said:
Any of the particles with a minus sign are on the output side of the process which is leading to Li6. In the case you are asking about, the reaction is Li7 + He3 -> Li6 + He4 (alpha).
Yes, OK, thank you. 60.28 MeV binding energy (on right side of reaction) - 46.962 MeV (on left) = 13.3 MeV (the value given).

Not sure if you noticed, but, if you apply the Ikeda Threshold Rule to the binding energy (in MeV) for supposed clusters (Li7 + He3 - He4), and subtract the sum (= 18.666 MeV) from the binding energy of Li6 (= 31.995 MeV), the result also is 13.3 MeV. This is why I asked about the interpretation of the minus (-) sign used for the alpha (He4). In this interpretation, the decay threshold for Li6 at 13.3 MeV results from the interaction of the three "clusters", and one must be antimatter alpha. What do you make of this observation ?

I am not sure of the observation you are trying to make.

However the alpha particle is a matter particle, not anti-matter. An anti-matter alpha would have a charge of -2, consisting of a pair of anti-protons and a pair of anti-neutrons. There aren't any around!

Related to What does the energy level diagram for Lithium-6 mean and how do I interpret it?

1. What is an energy level diagram?

An energy level diagram is a visual representation of the energy levels of an atom or molecule. It shows the different energy levels that electrons can occupy, as well as the transitions between them.

2. How do I read an energy level diagram?

The horizontal axis of an energy level diagram represents the different energy levels, with the lowest level on the left and the highest level on the right. The vertical lines represent the different orbitals within each energy level. Electrons can move between energy levels by absorbing or emitting energy in the form of light.

3. What is the significance of energy level diagrams?

Energy level diagrams are important because they help us understand the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. They show the possible energy states that electrons can occupy, which affects the chemical and physical properties of the substance.

4. How can I use an energy level diagram to predict chemical reactions?

Energy level diagrams can be used to predict chemical reactions by showing the energy differences between different electron configurations. Reactions are more likely to occur when they result in a lower total energy state for the system.

5. Can energy level diagrams be used for all elements and molecules?

Yes, energy level diagrams can be used for all elements and molecules. However, the number of energy levels and orbitals may vary depending on the number of electrons in the atom or molecule. Additionally, different elements and molecules may have different energy level diagrams due to their unique electron configurations.

Back