What Does the Homology Group Tell Us About a Manifold?

In summary, the book discusses the homology groups for circles, and explains that these groups are related to the number of connected components.
Sumanta
Hello,

I am reading the book on algebraic topology by Fulton and the geometric intusion that is supposed to be given for homological group is the number of connected components.

I wanted to understand an example.

For a circle ( S1) which has got 2 points say A at ( 1, 0) and another point B at ( - 1, 0) is the calculation of the Homology group in the following way

[tex]\stackrel{ a + b }{a -b }[/tex] where a and b are the two generators along the upper half plane and the lower half plane. Then is the result 2a or 2b ie 2*Z.

Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested in H_o(X,G) , the 0-th homological group.?. In that case, the homology
group (working with coefficients from an Abelian group G) is given by kG, where k is the
number of path-connected components, i.e

Ho(X;G)=G(+)G(+)...(+)G , k copies.

The issues as a I see it, is that , in each path-component, a single point generates
the full Ho(X;G), since the only possible boundaries are paths, and there is, by assumption,
a path between any two points.

Expanding: consider a path-connected component X1 , and let x1 be a point
in X1. Then x1 itself generates all the 0-th homology: let x1' =/ x1 in x1. Then there
is a path p(t) between x1 and x1' in X1 .
This means that either x1-x1' or x1'-x1 is the boundary of p(t) (basically, the paths
are the only 1-dimensional objects that are/can be bounded by the points in H_o(X1,G)
You can easily see that there can be no other homology classes in X1; given any other
point x1'' in X1, x1-x1'' or x1''-x1 are a boundary of this path. This means that every
point in X1 is homologous to x1.

Same goes for any connected component.

HTH.

Sumanta said:
Hello,

I am reading the book on algebraic topology by Fulton and the geometric intusion that is supposed to be given for homological group is the number of connected components.

I wanted to understand an example.

For a circle ( S1) which has got 2 points say A at ( 1, 0) and another point B at ( - 1, 0) is the calculation of the Homology group in the following way

[tex]\stackrel{ a + b }{a -b }[/tex] where a and b are the two generators along the upper half plane and the lower half plane. Then is the result 2a or 2b ie 2*Z.

Thx

I also don't know how Fulton's book lays out the homology groups.

Just from the definitions,

[tex]H_0(X;\mathbb{Z}) [/tex]

is defined as the closed 0-chains (every 0-chain is closed) modulo the boundaries (i.e. beginning and end points of maps of the interval into X). In our case (where I don't draw a distinction between connected and path-connected), two points a and b lie in the same connected component if and only they can be connected by a path

[tex]\gamma: [0,1] \rightarrow X [/tex]

Hence a and b are homologous if and only if

[tex]b-a = \partial (\gamma) [/tex].

It follows therefore that the zeroth homology group is freely generated by the homology class of a point selected from each connected component.

Just Curious:

It is straightforward to interpret the meaning of either (X an n-manifold, Z=integers.):

H0(X,Z)=kG , or Hn(X,Z)=Z (assume for now G has no torsion

o.wise use Universal Coeff. Thm.) .

First tells us that X has k path components, and last tells us that X is orientable.

How would we interpret , tho, H1(X;Z) =Z (or something else;

obviously, n>1 here.).?. I guess , Z being Abelian, we can also conclude (Hurewicz)

that Pin=Z too.

Otherwise , AFAIK, Hn measures "k-connectedness" . Anyone have

any comments on this.?

Related to What Does the Homology Group Tell Us About a Manifold?

1. What is the purpose of computing homology groups?

The computation of homology groups is used to study the topological properties of a space or object. It helps to identify holes and higher dimensional structures, and can be used to determine the number of connected components, loops, and voids in a space.

2. How are homology groups computed?

Homology groups are computed using algebraic topology, which uses algebraic techniques to study the topological properties of a space. This involves constructing a chain complex, which is a sequence of groups connected by homomorphisms, and then using this complex to compute the homology groups.

3. What is the relationship between homology groups and homotopy groups?

Homology groups and homotopy groups are both used to study the topological properties of a space, but they differ in their approach. Homology groups are based on the algebraic manipulation of chains, while homotopy groups are based on the continuous deformation of spaces. However, there is a deep connection between the two, and in certain cases, they can be used interchangeably.

4. What are the applications of computing homology groups?

The computation of homology groups has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to classify topological spaces, understand the shape of data sets, analyze networks and graphs, and study dynamical systems. It also has practical applications in computer graphics, robotics, and data compression.

5. What are some challenges in computing homology groups?

One challenge in computing homology groups is the combinatorial complexity of the problem. As the dimension of the space increases, the number of possible chains and their interactions also increases, making the computation more complex. Another challenge is the choice of a suitable chain complex, as different choices can lead to different homology groups and may not accurately reflect the topological properties of the space.