What does this box(relay) unit do on a '68 Mustang?

• Thread starter Big Block
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unit
In summary, the conversation is about a box unit with electronics and a single wire attached to a grounded box unit. It is mounted on the passenger side fender and may be a voltage regulator for the alternator. The person also suggests joining a specific forum for more information and asks for a picture of the unit.
Big Block
I have no idea what this box(relay) unit does. Can someone identify this beast and tell me what it does!
It is a metal bracket with a lip that has 2 holes in it. On the underside are the electronics, diodes and stuff proteced by a removable box which is fastened to the unit with 2 screws. There is only 1 wire coming out of this box unit and has a rubber cap on the end which fastens onto a bolt sticking out of the unit. No other wires attach to this grounded box unit.
This unit is mounted on the inside fender (passenger side) followed by the starter relay-solenoid on top of it secured by 2 bolts, washers and nuts.
Any thoughts...

Engineering news on Phys.org
How about a picture?

I have a 1967 stang with 428 cobra lemans with medium riser 427 intake and I still need a picture.

An educated guess would be the voltage regulator for the alternator.

Related to What does this box(relay) unit do on a '68 Mustang?

1. What is the purpose of the box(relay) unit on a '68 Mustang?

The box (relay) unit on a '68 Mustang serves as an electronic switch that controls various electrical components in the vehicle. It helps to regulate the flow of electricity and ensures that the right amount of power is being sent to different parts of the car.

2. How does the box(relay) unit work on a '68 Mustang?

The box (relay) unit on a '68 Mustang is connected to the car's battery and receives signals from the ignition switch and other sensors. It uses these signals to either open or close the electrical circuit and control the flow of electricity to different components.

3. What are the signs of a faulty box(relay) unit on a '68 Mustang?

Some common signs of a faulty box (relay) unit on a '68 Mustang include issues with starting the car, malfunctioning electrical components, and blown fuses. You may also notice unusual noises or burning smells coming from the unit.

4. How can I test the box(relay) unit on a '68 Mustang?

To test the box (relay) unit on a '68 Mustang, you can use a multimeter to check the continuity of the unit. If the unit is faulty, it will show no continuity. You can also try swapping the unit with a known working one to see if the issue is resolved.

5. Can I replace the box(relay) unit on a '68 Mustang myself?

While it is possible to replace the box (relay) unit on a '68 Mustang yourself, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional mechanic. The unit is an important part of the vehicle's electrical system, and improper installation or handling can cause further issues.