What does this symbol represent?

In summary: So in fact, in this equation mc represents the rest mass energy of the particle.In summary, in a nuclear engineering class, the topic of relativity is being studied. A homework problem involves deriving an equation for a particle moving at relativistic speed, showing the kinetic energy in terms of the particle's momentum. The answer provided includes a term mc, which is believed to be a typo and should actually be m0, representing the rest mass energy of the particle.
Ian Baughman
In my nuclear engineering class we are looking at relativity right now. For one of our homework problems we have to derive an equation for a particle moving at relativistic speed showing the kinetic energy in terms of the particles momentum. In the answer they have a term mc and I have no idea what this represents. I can't find it in the book or online. I was wondering if somebody maybe knew what it meant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without proper context it is not possible to answer your question. Are we supposed to guess what the answer looks like and where this symbol appears?

The answer is:
T = (p2c2+mo2c4)1/2-mcc2
I know:
p = momentum
T = Kinetic Energy
c = speed of light
mo = Rest mass​

I'm just confused on what mc represents.

I think that's just a typographical error, and ##m_c## should really be ##m_0## (the "rest mass", which also appears inside the parentheses). Or even a mechanical printing flaw that turned an "0" into a "c".

Likes Ian Baughman, stoomart and dextercioby
Based on the expression, it has to be m0. The expression subtracts the rest energy from the total energy.

Ian Baughman said:
The answer is:
T = (p2c2+mo2c4)1/2-mcc2I know:
p = momentum
T = Kinetic Energy
c = speed of light
mo = Rest mass
I'm just confused on what mc represents.

As everyone mentioned above, this is a typo and was meant to be m0 (rest mass).
On the LHS of the equation you have T which is the "kinetic energy"... the kinetic energy would be equal to the total energy of your particle (E) minus the rest mass energy it has even when it's at rest (the m0).

Related to What does this symbol represent?

Question 1: What does the symbol represent in your research?

The symbol in our research represents the chemical element carbon, which is commonly used in organic compounds and is essential for life on Earth.

Question 2: Can you explain the meaning behind this symbol?

The symbol represents the concept of sustainability, as it is used to represent the recycling of materials in our study.

Question 3: Is this symbol commonly used in the scientific community?

Yes, this symbol is widely used and recognized in the scientific community as it is a standard representation for the element carbon.

Question 4: How does this symbol relate to your experiment?

This symbol is used to represent the control group in our experiment, which is an essential part of the scientific method to compare results.

Question 5: Can you provide any additional information about this symbol?

In addition to representing the element carbon, this symbol is also used to represent the concept of sustainability in various industries and is often associated with environmentalism and conservation efforts.