What does "vertical plane" mean in physics?

In summary: The horizontal distance from the launch site to one of the loops, is different than from the launch site to the other hoop.
Danya314

Homework Statement

The problem states a situtation where two hoops, their centers, and a launch site are all in the same vertical plane. The objective is to launch a tennis ball into both hoops from the launch site. What does it means when it says "vertical plane"? The launch site is not directly beneath the hoops because the question mentions a unique horizontal distance from each hoop to the launch site.

Homework Equations

xf=xi+a*t
yf=yi+vi*t+.5*a*t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a picture. I would interpret as, "There exists a vertical plane in which these things exist."

It's saying that the situation is two-dimensional, with a vertical coordinate and a horizontal coordinate.

I'd like to see the exact wording. I can make sense of it if the centres of the hoops and the launch point are in the same vertical plane... but not the hoops themselves.

Dr. Courtney said:
Try drawing a picture. I would interpret as, "There exists a vertical plane in which these things exist."
What does vertical plane mean? I drew a picture, but I don't understand how the launch site and hoops be in the same vertical plane and be different horizontal distances from each other.

Danya314 said:
What does vertical plane mean? I drew a picture, but I don't understand how the launch site and hoops be in the same vertical plane and be different horizontal distances from each other.
Not from each other.

The horizontal distance from the launch site to one of the loops, is different than from the launch site to the other hoop.

If you put three pencil marks on a wall they will be "in the same vertical plane" (the plane of the wall). They can also be at "different horizontal distances from each other" (Unless you put the marks on top of each other).

Related to What does "vertical plane" mean in physics?

1. What is a vertical plane?

A vertical plane is a two-dimensional surface that is perpendicular to the horizontal plane. It is a plane that runs up and down, in contrast to the horizontal plane which runs side to side.

2. How is a vertical plane different from a horizontal plane?

A vertical plane is perpendicular to the horizontal plane, meaning that they intersect at a 90-degree angle. The vertical plane runs up and down, while the horizontal plane runs side to side.

3. What is the significance of a vertical plane in physics?

In physics, a vertical plane is used to represent the direction of gravitational force, as it is the direction in which objects fall towards the Earth. It is also used to analyze motion in two dimensions, such as projectile motion.

4. Can a vertical plane have any other orientation?

Yes, a vertical plane can have any orientation as long as it is perpendicular to the horizontal plane. This means it can be tilted at an angle, as long as it maintains a 90-degree angle with the horizontal plane.

5. How is a vertical plane used in real life?

A vertical plane is commonly used in architecture and engineering to represent the height of a building or structure. It is also used in navigation and mapping to represent elevation and altitude. In sports, it is used to track the height of jumps and throws.