What Does W/(g2 cm3) Represent in Power Density Units?

In summary, the unit W/(g2 cm3) is related to power density and is often seen in reference to maximum power densities in the context of vibration energy harvesting. The g most likely stands for grams and represents acceleration.
joshmorris

Homework Statement

So I saw a unit "W/(g2 cm3)"
And I'm pretty sure it's about power density...and I understand what W/cm3 is. It's watts per cubic centimeter...but what does the g mean? grams? If so, how does that fit in? :/[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure it wasn't ##(W/g^2)/cm^3##?

Student100 said:
Sure it wasn't ##(W/g^2)/cm^3##?

W/(g2 cm3) is the exact form

Can you give us any context?

joshmorris said:
W/(g2 cm3) is the exact form

That's okay, it's technically the same thing. I've only ever seen it written in this form in relation to power densities:

##(mW/g^2)/cm^3)##

Normally in reference to maximum power densities.

Yes, what is the context you saw it in?

Student100 said:
That's okay, it's technically the same thing. I've only ever seen it written:

##(mW/g^2)/cm^3)##

Normally in reference to maximum power densities.

Yes, what is the context you saw it in?

There are other places where I saw mW instead of W, what does it mean though?

-It is regarding maximum power densities

joshmorris said:
There are other places where I saw mW instead of W, what does it mean though?

Milliwatt

Last edited:
Student100 said:
Milliwatt.

Not mW I knew that, I meant the rest of it...like could you say it framed like "x cubic centimeters" or like full meaning in practical terms...
Like what does the g mean D:

Last edited:
joshmorris said:
I saw a unit "W/(g2 cm3)

Where? In what reference? In what context?

Without that sort of information we can't answer your question.

Also, is this homework? If so, you should be filling out the complete homework template, including an actual problem. What you've given isn't a problem, it's just a question.

PeterDonis said:
Where? In what reference? In what context?

Without that sort of information we can't answer your question.

Also, is this homework? If so, you should be filling out the complete homework template, including an actual problem. What you've given isn't a problem, it's just a question.

Here's a paper that references it,

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/1...sessionid=D6364882AAD5BE845D65B93DAC700020.c1

Figure 4. Has units ##(W/g^2)/cm^3##

It almost always has something to do with vibration energy harvesting, I don't know that much about it. Just remember seeing it once before.

Related to What Does W/(g2 cm3) Represent in Power Density Units?

1. What is power density?

Power density is the amount of power or energy per unit volume or area. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²) or watts per cubic meter (W/m³).

2. How is power density different from power?

Power density is a measure of the concentration of power, whereas power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. Power density takes into account the size or area over which the power is distributed, while power does not.

3. What are the common units used for measuring power density?

The most common units used for measuring power density are watts per square meter (W/m²) and watts per cubic meter (W/m³). Other units that may be used include watts per square centimeter (W/cm²) and watts per square inch (W/in²).

4. How is power density used in scientific research?

Power density is an important concept in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and environmental science. It is often used to measure the intensity of electromagnetic radiation, such as in studies of solar energy or the effects of cell phone radiation on living organisms.

5. What are some examples of high and low power density?

High power density can be found in sources such as nuclear reactors, lasers, and high-powered communication devices. Low power density can be found in sources such as sunlight, household appliances, and battery-operated devices.