What Does Zee Mean by the Equation in QFT Nut, III.6, p. 194?

• A
  • Thread starter Lapidus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of ##(\partial_i A_i)## and its relationship to the divergence of A. The participants also clarify that the partial derivative acts on a wave function in addition to A, and provide a better way to write the expression. Overall, they express frustration with Zee's writing style and suggest a simpler approach.
Lapidus
..where can be found:
Zee 1.PNG

What in the whole wide world does Zee mean with

zee 2.PNG
??

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess that ##(\partial_i A_i)##is another way to say div A, which probably vanishes in the gauge Zee is considering. The bracket probably means that the action of the partial derivative is restricted to A.

Likes Lapidus
But on what else could the partial derivative act on than on A?

On what does it act in ##A_i \partial_i##? I mean, you are considering a momentum operator, so it will act on some wavefunction, besides A.

Likes Lapidus
A better way to write this would be
$$(\partial_i A_i + A_i \partial_i) X = (\partial_i A_i)X + 2 A_i \partial_i X = 2 A_i \partial_i X$$
for some wave function X and ignoring indices there. Just the product rule applied to ##\partial_i A_i X##

Edit: Added missing X

Last edited:
Likes Lapidus
Got it! Thanks DrDu and mfb!

This book by Zee, although apparently written in a quite colloquial way, confuses (at least me) more than it helps. This is an example. Instead of writing the simple matter in a simple way as mfb did in #5 he only gives some short-hand notation, which is more confusing than helpful :-(.

Well it's so and so; it seems like a bigger generalization of the derivation of [itex] xp -px = i \hbar[/itex]. Without having to write [itex] (xp - px ) f(x) = i \hbar f(x)[/itex].
Although I think similar expressions were in Griffith's Intro to Electrodynamics.
(feels like Zee's advocate)

mfb said:
A better way to write this would be
$$(\partial_i A_i + A_i \partial_i) X = (\partial_i A_i) + 2 A_i \partial_i X = 2 A_i \partial_i X$$
for some wave function X and ignoring indices there. Just the product rule applied to ##\partial_i A_i X##
Just to point out a small misprint (mfb just forgot): there is an X missing in the middle expression$$(\partial_i A_i + A_i \partial_i) X = (\partial_i A_i) X + 2 A_i \partial_i X = 2 A_i \partial_i X$$

Likes mfb

FAQ: What Does Zee Mean by the Equation in QFT Nut, III.6, p. 194?

1. What is "Zee, QFT Nut, III.6, p. 194"?

"Zee, QFT Nut, III.6, p. 194" refers to a specific section and page number in the book "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell" by A. Zee.

2. What is the topic discussed in III.6, p. 194 of "Zee, QFT Nut"?

In III.6, p. 194, Zee discusses renormalization and the renormalization group in quantum field theory.

3. Who is A. Zee and why is his book important?

A. Zee is a theoretical physicist and professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara. His book, "Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell," is widely regarded as one of the best introductory textbooks on the subject.

4. How does "Zee, QFT Nut" differ from other textbooks on quantum field theory?

Zee's book is known for its clear and concise explanations, as well as its use of creative analogies and examples to help readers understand complex concepts. It also includes discussions on the historical and philosophical aspects of quantum field theory.

5. Is "Zee, QFT Nut" suitable for beginners in quantum field theory?

Yes, "Zee, QFT Nut" is often recommended for beginners as it provides a solid foundation in the subject with its accessible writing style and comprehensive coverage of key topics.