What engineering major revolving around space should I choos

In summary: That way, you'll be more likely to find a career that interests you and matches your personality.My advice to you is that you choose a BROAD, more generalized area, rather than focusing...completely...on one type of technology or another. That way, you'll be more likely to find a career that interests you and matches your personality.
Tanklesstree
I'm a freshman in high school (i know I'm young) but I have a driving interest in space and technology i like to work with my hands and or computer so I thought it would be a good idea to study areospace engineering but I rethought and decided I don't really like the idea of flying I just like space and tech, you know like a space elevator or project that will revolutionize the world, I want to create something different from what the world has seen, I'm always interested in the latest tech and I want to be a part of a group with the challenge to build that, revolving around space and tech,but I don't know if aerospace engineering and working for NASA or another major will be a good fit for my personality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tanklesstree said:
I'm a freshman in high school (i know I'm young) but I have a driving interest in space and technology i like to work with my hands and or computer so I thought it would be a good idea to study areospace engineering but I rethought and decided I don't really like the idea of flying I just like space and tech, you know like a space elevator or project that will revolutionize the world, I want to create something different from what the world has seen, I'm always interested in the latest tech and I want to be a part of a group with the challenge to build that, revolving around space and tech,but I don't know if aerospace engineering and working for NASA or another major will be a good fit for my personality.
I think you are laboring under some misconceptions about aerospace engineering.

You do not need to be a pilot or know how to fly to become an aerospace engineer.

If you have a phobia about flying, that's something you must address in another manner (and avoidance is not always a good way to deal with such problems).

Similarly, if you want to get a job as an engineer working at NASA or the ESA, you do not have to undergo astronaut training or go into space.

SteamKing said:
I think you are laboring under some misconceptions about aerospace engineering.

You do not need to be a pilot or know how to fly to become an aerospace engineer.

If you have a phobia about flying, that's something you must address in another manner (and avoidance is not always a good way to deal with such problems).

Similarly, if you want to get a job as an engineer working at NASA or the ESA, you do not have to undergo astronaut training or go into space.
I know that, what I meant to say was the concept of flying. I know I don't have to be a pilot but the I like the space part about the major more than the fact that I'm learning to make a rocket fly, it still interests me but I was just wondering if there was a better major related to space and tech but not all about rockets if u know what I mean. And one where I can innovate, and change the world. But I'm guessing that aerospace engineers do that too at nasa, building new kinds of rockets

Find a good broad mathematics programme for your undergrad and what you actually want to do will probably bonk you on the head somewhere along the way of 3/4 gruelling years.

Tanklesstree said:
I know that, what I meant to say was the concept of flying. I know I don't have to be a pilot but the I like the space part about the major more than the fact that I'm learning to make a rocket fly, it still interests me but I was just wondering if there was a better major related to space and tech but not all about rockets if u know what I mean. And one where I can innovate, and change the world. But I'm guessing that aerospace engineers do that too at nasa, building new kinds of rockets

I would say your best bets are mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or aerospace engineering, depending on what you want to do.

Tanklesstree said:

My advice to you is that you choose a BROAD, more generalized area, rather than focusing way too much way too early. Based on my unscientific poll of members of this forum, there is a very good chance that you will end up in the field that you envisioned for yourself at this stage of your life. Read this:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/career-poll-2.667559/

I will also say that you haven't done enough "window shopping" yet at your age. There's a whole world of various different disciplines out there that you haven't even heard of. Why put on blinders now? You should, instead, look far and wide at what is available out there.

Zz.

FAQ: What engineering major revolving around space should I choos

1. What are the different engineering majors that focus on space?

There are several engineering majors that have a focus on space, including aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and materials engineering.

2. What is the difference between aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering focuses specifically on the design and development of aircraft and spacecraft, while mechanical engineering is a broader field that deals with the design and development of mechanical systems and machinery.

3. Is electrical engineering a good choice for a space-related career?

Yes, electrical engineering is a great choice for a space-related career as it deals with the design and development of electrical systems and components, which are crucial for space exploration and communication.

4. What skills are important for an engineering major in the space industry?

Some important skills for an engineering major in the space industry include strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and strong mathematical and technical skills.

5. Are there any specialized engineering majors for space exploration?

Yes, there are some specialized engineering majors for space exploration, such as astronautical engineering, which focuses on the design and development of spacecraft and the technology needed for space travel.