What equation do i use to find the acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves a person pushing a 55.0 kg crate with a force of 221 N on a level floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.350. Using the equation Fk=(Mk)(FN), the frictional force is found to be 188.65 N. To find the acceleration, the weight of the crate (539.55 N) is multiplied by the coefficient of friction and subtracted from the applied force to find the net force on the crate. Finally, "F= ma" is used to find the acceleration.
rgold

Homework Statement

A person pushes horizontally with a force of 221 N on a 55.0 kg crate to move it to the right across a level floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.350. What is the magnitude of (a)the frictional force and (b) the crate's acceleration? Use g=9.81 m/s2.

Homework Equations

Fk=(Mk)(FN)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used the above equation to find the frictional force which was 188.65 N and i know the acceleration will be in m/s^2 but i don't know how to find the acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a diagram with forces acting?
What direction does the frictional force act? What is the net force on the crate?

Since the mass of the crate is 55.0 kg and g= 9.81, the weight of the crate is 55.0*9.81= 539.55 Newtons. Multiply that by the given coefficient of friction, 0.350, to get the friction force, 188.8425, or to three significant figures, 189 Newtons. Subtract that from the applied force (assuming it is horizontal) to get the net force acting on the crate. Then use "F= ma" to find the acceleration.

thank you!

Related to What equation do i use to find the acceleration?

1. What is the equation for finding acceleration?

The equation for finding acceleration is a = (v - u) / t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I use the acceleration equation?

To use the acceleration equation, you need to know the values of final velocity, initial velocity, and time. Plug these values into the equation and solve for a.

3. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s2). This means that for every second, the object's velocity changes by a meters per second.

4. Can I find acceleration if I only know velocity?

No, you also need to know the time in order to find acceleration. If you only know velocity, you can use the equation a = (v - u) / t to solve for time, and then use that value to find acceleration.

5. Is there a different equation for finding acceleration in a straight line vs. a curved path?

No, the same equation a = (v - u) / t can be used to find acceleration in both straight line and curved path motion. However, the values for v and u may be different, depending on the type of motion.