What Equation Models a Semi-Elliptical Arch Allowing a Ship to Pass Underneath?

In summary: Can you think of a point like that?In summary, the problem states that a bridge needs to be constructed across a 150 foot wide river, with an arch that allows a ship less than 50 feet wide and 40 feet high to pass safely through. The equation for the arch is x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1, where x is the independent variable and y is the dependent variable. To find the height of the arch at the middle of the bridge, one must find a point on the ellipse that represents the top of the ship. Drawing a picture and fitting a cartesian coordinate system can help visualize the problem and solve it.
ZaTaisho

Homework Statement

A bridge is to be constructed across a river that is 150 feet wide. The arch of the bridge is to be semi-elliptical and must be constructed so that a ship less than 50 feet wide and 40 feet high can pass safely through the arch, as shown in the figure.

(a) Find an equation for the arch. (Let x be the independent variable and y be the dependent variable. Assume the origin is at the surface of the river directly beneath the highest point of the arch.)

(b) Approximate the height of the arch in the middle of the bridge. (Round your answer to the nearest whole number.)

Homework Equations

x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't understand it.
As far as I know, the 150 needs to halved, thus making it:

x2/752 + y2/b2 = 1

But I'm stuck from there...can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaTaisho said:

Homework Statement

A bridge is to be constructed across a river that is 150 feet wide. The arch of the bridge is to be semi-elliptical and must be constructed so that a ship less than 50 feet wide and 40 feet high can pass safely through the arch, as shown in the figure.

(a) Find an equation for the arch. (Let x be the independent variable and y be the dependent variable. Assume the origin is at the surface of the river directly beneath the highest point of the arch.)

(b) Approximate the height of the arch in the middle of the bridge. (Round your answer to the nearest whole number.)

Homework Equations

x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually don't understand it.
As far as I know, the 150 needs to halved, thus making it:

x2/752 + y2/b2 = 1

But I'm stuck from there...can anyone help?

Think in terms of xy coordinates with the origin they described. Can you name an (x,y) point that should be on the ellipse? Picture the ship just touching the ellipse.

Dick said:
Think in terms of xy coordinates with the origin they described. Can you name an (x,y) point that should be on the ellipse? Picture the ship just touching the ellipse.

I'm not entirely sure. I keep thinking of (25,0), but again I could most likely be wrong.
I do not understand material if they are just mathematically questioned upon me. I need examples, and the reason why. That is how I learn.

You can keep giving me questions all you want, but I'm not going to understand them, nor be able to figure them out. Questions just lead me into more confusion. I need guidance, not really assistance, because once I see how to do it, I am dependent upon myself to finish other related problems.

NOTE: I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just stating on my learning style. If schools were giving me a hard time with these math terms, questions, and etc... then I don't see how questioning me will help either.

ZaTaisho,

Try to DRAW the picture, and try to fit a cartesian coordinate system to it. You may then SEE the mathematical situation and solve the problem from this. Note that, you are actually given one of the points on the ellipse. This point comes in the form of the width and height of the ship.

ZaTaisho said:
I'm not entirely sure. I keep thinking of (25,0), but again I could most likely be wrong.
I do not understand material if they are just mathematically questioned upon me. I need examples, and the reason why. That is how I learn.

You can keep giving me questions all you want, but I'm not going to understand them, nor be able to figure them out. Questions just lead me into more confusion. I need guidance, not really assistance, because once I see how to do it, I am dependent upon myself to finish other related problems.

NOTE: I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just stating on my learning style. If schools were giving me a hard time with these math terms, questions, and etc... then I don't see how questioning me will help either.

I'm asking you questions to try and figure out why you are having a hard time with the problem. And I'm not really asking you for an equation either. (25,0) is a point on the outside of the ship where it touches the water, right? I'm asking you for a point on the top of the ship where it would touch the bridge.

Related to What Equation Models a Semi-Elliptical Arch Allowing a Ship to Pass Underneath?

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a type of conic section, which is a curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone. It is a closed and symmetric curve that resembles a flattened circle.

2. How do I identify an ellipse?

An ellipse can be identified by its equation, which is in the form of (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. How do I solve for the center and axes of an ellipse?

To solve for the center and axes of an ellipse, you need to have the equation of the ellipse in the standard form. Then, you can identify the values of h, k, a, and b from the equation.

4. How do I graph an ellipse?

To graph an ellipse, you can plot the center point (h,k) on the coordinate plane and then use the values of a and b to determine the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. From there, you can plot points along the curve of the ellipse using the equation (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1.

5. How do I solve problems involving ellipses?

To solve problems involving ellipses, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variables in the equation of the ellipse. You can also use the properties of ellipses, such as the distance formula, to solve problems.