What Equipment and Technology is Needed for Negative Energy Research in Fiction?

• Thread starter Rafael300
  • Start date
For example, a ball sitting on a ledge has positive potential energy relative to the ground, but negative potential energy relative to the bottom of the ledge.In summary, this conversation discusses the concept of negative energy and its potential uses in research, specifically in relation to the equipment and costs needed for a laboratory. The definition and function of negative energy are debated, with references to Stephen Hawking's explanation and other sources. The confusion and uncertainty surrounding the existence of negative energy is also addressed.
Rafael300
Hi Everyone !

My latest project includes a physics professor engaged in negative energy research. My question is what type of equipment and its cost would such a laboratory require. You may assume a low eight figure grant (well, it is fiction). You may also include any speculative machinery reasonable technological advances might make available within the next two decades.

I'll be happy to provide any further information, detail, background you may require to better answer the question as well as the opening chapter for anyone curious as to where I'm going with this.

Thanx much !

Physics news on Phys.org
First: What's negative energy in your book? What creates it? How does it function?
We can't possible say what is needed to research it if we don't know what it is.

Do you mean maybe the negative energy that is supposedly produced by TVs and is absorbed by cats sleeping on the same TVs?:wink:

Here is a possible reference: :biggrin:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FAIKJBW/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Cats were already available for quite some decades. You don't have to wait two more.

My sincerest apologies for being unaware 'negative energy' might have different interpretations especially if one has cats for pets ! :-D

Following is an excerpt from "The Quantum Mechanics of Black Holes" by Stephen Hawking published in a 1977 edition of Scientific American which served as my layman's understanding of negative energy:

"A black hole radiates energy at a rate inversely proportional to the square of its mass. Although the evaporation rate is large only for subatomic size black holes, it provides a crucial link between the laws of black holes and the laws of thermodynamics. The Hawking radiation allows black holes to come into thermal equilibrium with their environment.

At first glance, evaporation leads to a contradiction. The horizon is a one-way street; energy can only flow inward. So how can a black hole radiate energy outward? Because energy must be conserved, the production of positive energy - which distant observers see as the Hawking radiation - is accompanied by a flow of negative energy into the hole. Here the negative energy is produced by the extreme space-time curvature near the hole, which disturbs the vacuum fluctuations. In this way, negative energy is required for the consistency of the unification of black hole physics with thermodynamics . . ."

Thank you "Nasu" and "Drakkith" for replying. I greatly appreciate your taking the time.

-r-

Yeah... that's not right. There is no "negative energy" flowing into the black hole. Energy is radiated away from the black hole, reducing its mass over time. the mass is turned into energy. This is how energy is conserved.

Now I'm really confused.

This forum contains a thread by "hurk4" titled "Negative energy versus positive energy" He states:

"Cancellation or generation of positive energy by negative energy and vice versa is so often brought up by very serious physicists (e.g. A. Guth, A.V. Fillipenko) as the argumentation for the possibility of the generation of our universe out of “nothing”, that I hardly dare to question this. As an example or metaphor for it is most often used the so called cancellation of (so called positive) kinetic energy by the (so called negative) gravitational energy . . "

Although the thrust of his argument is his rejection of negative energy as the cause for something arising out of nothing, he clearly (IMHO) implies negative energy is real. And as he further states, so do the "very serious physicists" A. Guth and A.V. Fillipenko.

Did Stephen Hawking publish a refutation to his view that negative energy is necessary to maintain a black hole's equilibrium with the Laws of Thermodynamics ??

Further to my point, I invite your attention to a white paper submitted on November 9, 1998 by Adam D. Helfer to Cornell University titled "The Physics of Negative Energy Densities", reference # arXiv:hep-th/9811081. He states:

"I review some recent results showing that the physics of negative energy densities, as predicted by relativistic quantum field theories, is more complicated than has generally been appreciated. On the one hand, in external potentials where there is a time--dependence, however slight, the Hamiltonians are unbounded below. On the other, there are limitations of quantum measurement in detecting or utilizing these negative energies."

So. Does negative energy exist or not ??

I think there's a misunderstanding of the terminology by one of us, possibly me. I don't know much about "negative" energy, but I expect it's similar to how potential energy can be positive or negative depending on how you're looking at it.

Related to What Equipment and Technology is Needed for Negative Energy Research in Fiction?

1. Who should I ask for help with developing my novel's character?

There are a few options for getting assistance with developing your novel's character. You can ask other writers or beta readers for feedback, seek guidance from a creative writing instructor, or consult with a professional editor.

2. How can I make my novel's character more relatable to readers?

One way to make your character more relatable is to give them flaws and vulnerabilities that readers can identify with. You can also make their motivations and actions believable and grounded in reality.

3. Should I base my novel's character on someone I know in real life?

It can be tempting to base your character on someone you know, but it's important to be mindful of respecting their privacy and not portraying them in a negative light. It may be better to draw inspiration from different people or create a fictional character entirely.

4. How can I avoid writing cliches when developing my novel's character?

To avoid writing cliches, try to think outside of the box and come up with unique and unexpected traits and characteristics for your character. You can also do research on different personality types and incorporate elements from multiple sources to create a well-rounded character.

5. What are some important aspects to consider when developing my novel's character?

Some important aspects to consider when developing your character include their backstory, motivations, flaws, relationships with other characters, and how they change and grow throughout the story. It's also helpful to think about how their personality and traits will influence the plot and conflict of your novel.