What ever happened with NEC's experiment that exceeded the speed of light?

• Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date
In summary, NEC scientist Lijun Wang claimed to have conducted an experiment where a light beam surpassed the speed of light by a factor of 300. However, there were doubts and criticisms raised by other scientists, including the fact that the experiment was performed in a way that could be interpreted incorrectly. The scientific community has not fully accepted the results of Wang's experiment and it remains a topic of debate.
Glenn
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/faster_than_c_000719.html

Quote from the article... "NEC’s Lijun Wang says he created an experiment in which a light beam raced through a gas-filled chamber so quickly, it exceeded the speed of light by a factor of 300. "

Does anyone know what ever happened with this. If such a fantastic claim were true, I am sure I would have heard about it. I am curious though how this was eventually handled by the scientific community.

Thanks,
Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was just re-reading that article a couple of minutes ago. I was wondering the same thing.

Confused? You’re not alone. In fact, even scientists who are familiar with this area of study are unsure about the details of Wang’s experiment. And many scientists said the experiment’s results are still open to interpretation.

William Happer, a physicist at Princeton University argued that several specific problems exist with the experiment, including the fact that pulses get distorted when passed through any media other than a vacuum, or empty space. In addition, he said Wang and his colleagues performed the experiment in a way that doesn’t tell the whole story, and that it can be interpreted incorrectly. "This is anything but dramatic," said Happer. "If you look at the data, there’s essentially no evidence that [the beam] is going faster than the speed of light."

I think that says it all. Shine a laser on the Moon and move it around, you can easily make the beam pattern move faster than light; I think the same must apply to Wang's pulses.

Garth

Related to What ever happened with NEC's experiment that exceeded the speed of light?

1. Who is this person being updated on?

This person is someone who was previously mentioned or discussed and now has new information or developments to share.

2. What is the purpose of this update?

The purpose of this update is to provide the latest information or progress on the person being discussed.

3. What new information is being shared about this person?

The update may include new accomplishments, changes in status or position, or any other relevant updates on the person's life or work.

4. Why is this person being updated on?

This person may be important or relevant to the topic being discussed, and the update is necessary to provide the most accurate and up-to-date information.

5. How will this update affect the previous information or discussion about this person?

The update may provide context or clarification on previous information, or it may change the overall understanding or perception of the person being discussed.