What exactly constitutes and Equation of State?

In summary: It is important to understand the relationship between different state variables in order to determine the appropriate equation of state for a given system.
spacelike
What exactly constitutes an Equation of State?

As the title says I'm not quite sure what I need to get to have an equation of state in thermodynamics.

I think I understand that an equation of state is an equation that relates different state variables of the system such as volume, temperature, pressure, chemical potential, etc...
However, I am not sure how to know exactly which variables to find a relation between.

For example isn't this the equation of state for an ideal gas? [tex]U=\frac{3}{2}Nk_{b}T[/tex]
So that is a relation between the number of particles, internal energy, and temperature.

We've also done problems where we find from a given Gibbs Free Energy the equation of state of some gas and the final relation is between volume, pressure, and temperature.

So how do I know which variables to get a relation between?
For example we have another problem where given entropy (as a function of energy; with volume constant) find the equation of state.

I didn't ask this in the homework section because it's not a question about my homework.. sure it might help on my homework but I am not asking about a specific problem, my issue is conceptual. It's something I'm confused about in general.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
An equation of state is an equation that relates two or more thermodynamic properties of a system. The most common equation of state is the Ideal Gas Law, which relates the pressure, temperature, and volume of an ideal gas. Other equations of state can relate pressure, temperature, and volume to other thermodynamic properties such as enthalpy, internal energy, entropy, and chemical potential. The specific variables used in an equation of state depend on the type of system being studied and the form of the equation of state.

Related to What exactly constitutes and Equation of State?

1. What is an equation of state?

An equation of state is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a thermodynamic system in terms of its state variables, such as pressure, volume, and temperature.

2. What are the types of equations of state?

There are two main types of equations of state: empirical and theoretical. Empirical equations are based on experimental data and do not have a theoretical basis, while theoretical equations are derived from fundamental principles and can be used to predict the behavior of a system.

3. How is an equation of state used?

An equation of state is used to calculate the state variables of a system under different conditions. This can be helpful in understanding the properties of a substance and predicting its behavior under different circumstances.

4. What are the limitations of an equation of state?

An equation of state is only applicable to a specific type of substance or system and may not accurately describe the behavior of other substances or systems. Additionally, an equation of state may have limitations in certain regions of temperature or pressure.

5. Can an equation of state be modified?

Yes, an equation of state can be modified or improved upon by incorporating new data or adjusting its parameters. This can help to make the equation more accurate and applicable to a wider range of conditions.