What exactly does determine the behavior mean (differential equations)

In summary, the term "determine the behavior" in the context of differential equations refers to the process of analyzing and understanding how a system or process changes over time. This is done by solving the differential equation, which represents the relationship between the variables involved and their rates of change. By finding a solution to the equation, we can determine the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and has applications in numerous fields, including physics, engineering, and biology.
dwilmer
What exactly does "determine the behavior" mean (differential equations)

Homework Statement

Draw a direction field for the given differential equation. Based on the diection field, determine the behavior of y as t approaches infinity. If this behavior depends on the initial value of y at t=0. describe the dependency.

y' = 3 + 2y

Homework Equations

1. How can I determine behavior of y with respect to t if t is not in the equation?

2. What exactly does it mean to ask "determine the behavior". Are there only a few scenarios for the behavior and if so what are they? The answer says that y diverges from (-3/2) as t approaches infinity, but I don't know (or forgot) what "diverges" means exactly.

3. Based on question 2 (above) does that mean that when a problem wants the behavior, it will either converge or diverge, and if so what is y (or t) converging/diverging onto?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that when i make RHS = zero, this is the equilibrium position. That is, y = -3/2, and values bigger than this slope will be pos.. values less and slope will be neg.
I also undherstand that y' is the slope, and that y' is same as saying dy/dt.
I also understand concept of the direction field.. It is (in my own words) lots of slope values for each value of t (or y, which is also confusing me...(theres no t in the original equation))

(PS: this is question #3, 1.1 in boyce and diprima 8th edition)
thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

dwilmer said:

Homework Statement

Draw a direction field for the given differential equation. Based on the diection field, determine the behavior of y as t approaches infinity. If this behavior depends on the initial value of y at t=0. describe the dependency.

y' = 3 + 2y

Homework Equations

1. How can I determine behavior of y with respect to t if t is not in the equation?
t is not explicitly in your differential equation, but both y and y' are functions of t. At each point (t, y) in the plane you can draw a short tangent line whose slope is 3 + 2y. It should be clear that along any horizontal line, the slopes of these tangent line segments will be the same.
dwilmer said:
2. What exactly does it mean to ask "determine the behavior". Are there only a few scenarios for the behavior and if so what are they? The answer says that y diverges from (-3/2) as t approaches infinity, but I don't know (or forgot) what "diverges" means exactly.
"Determine the behavior" in this context means to say what y will do as x gets very large or very negative. "Diverges" means separates from. If you draw the direction field you might get a sense of what the set of solutions to your diff. equation looks like.
dwilmer said:
3. Based on question 2 (above) does that mean that when a problem wants the behavior, it will either converge or diverge, and if so what is y (or t) converging/diverging onto?

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that when i make RHS = zero, this is the equilibrium position. That is, y = -3/2, and values bigger than this slope will be pos.. values less and slope will be neg.
I also undherstand that y' is the slope, and that y' is same as saying dy/dt.
I also understand concept of the direction field.. It is (in my own words) lots of slope values for each value of t (or y, which is also confusing me...(theres no t in the original equation))
Lots of slope values, with one at each point (t, y).
dwilmer said:
(PS: this is question #3, 1.1 in boyce and diprima 8th edition)
thanks for any help!

thanks for help.
Could you clarify a little further, when you say:

"If you draw the direction field you might get a sense of what the set of solutions to your diff. equation looks like."

because I've already drawn the direction field, but what do you mean by "set of solutions"?? As far as I can tell the equation has a solution everywhere except when y=-3/2. So if there are that many solutions, then all i see is slopes increasining when larger than -3/2 and decreasing when less than -3/2, and when exactly -3/2, it is horizontal..
So when you say "set of solutions" is that every other point except for when y=-3/2?

The set includes that one, too. You have a differential equation without an initial condition y(0). Each possible value of y(0) determines a specific solution.

FAQ: What exactly does determine the behavior mean (differential equations)

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and predict the behavior of systems that change over time, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and understand various natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, and the spread of diseases. They also play a crucial role in engineering, where they are used to design and optimize systems.

3. What determines the behavior in a system described by a differential equation?

The behavior in a system described by a differential equation is determined by its initial conditions and the specific form of the differential equation. The initial conditions are the values of the variables at a specific starting point, while the form of the equation dictates how the variables change over time.

4. How do differential equations differ from other types of equations?

Differential equations differ from other types of equations because they involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function. This allows them to describe how a system changes over time, rather than just at a specific point in time.

5. What is the importance of studying differential equations?

Studying differential equations is important because they are a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of systems in various fields. They also provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and techniques used in science and engineering.

Back