What exactly is a wave and how does it propagate?

• Thread starter RadiantL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of waves in physics and the confusion surrounding its definition. It includes examples of waves in a string and in water, and the question of whether the wave is the particles in the string or the propagation that travels through it. The conversation also suggests using resources like Wikipedia and the PF library for further understanding.
RadiantL
What is this "wave" exactly

Hi every time physics courses reach the topic about waves and I see these graphs and diagrams, and pictures I get confused on what exactly is this "wave" like... take someone waving a string on the ground so that I guess there's a propagation.

Is the wave the particles in the string going up then back down? or is the "wave" the propagation that travels in the string?

I also seen like pictures say, a boat is on water and it bobs up and down, it stays in one place but like is the boat on TOP of the wave?

... I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh wow, I guess I should put a little more effort into researching instead of just asking for the answers haha, thanks for the links to the resources :)

FAQ: What exactly is a wave and how does it propagate?

1. What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or variation that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another. It can take many forms, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves.

2. How is a wave created?

A wave is created when a source of energy, such as a vibrating object, causes a disturbance in a medium. This disturbance then travels outwards, carrying the energy with it.

3. What are the properties of a wave?

A wave has several key properties, including amplitude (the height of the wave), wavelength (the distance between two adjacent peaks or troughs), frequency (the number of waves that pass a certain point in one second), and speed (how fast the wave travels).

4. How do waves interact with each other?

When two or more waves meet, they can interfere with each other, either constructively (when they reinforce each other) or destructively (when they cancel each other out). This phenomenon is known as wave interference.

5. What are some real-life examples of waves?

There are many examples of waves in our daily lives, such as sound waves (which allow us to hear music and conversations), light waves (which allow us to see objects), and water waves (which we see at the beach or in a swimming pool). Other examples include radio waves, microwaves, and seismic waves.