What exactly is meant by the word "particle"

• Thread starter Enjamiering
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: In quantum mechanics, the description by a wave function is the appropriate description for particles without internal structure.In summary, the word "particle" has different meanings in classical physics and quantum mechanics. In classical physics, it refers to an ideal point mass while in quantum mechanics, it refers to subatomic particles with no definite position or mass. This can cause confusion, especially when referring to particles with mass like electrons. However, it is still commonly used in both contexts.
Enjamiering
I was browsing through the content section of my book and see the word particle mentioned many times in many chapters. Each time I read I start thinking that maybe it can mean more than subatomic particles.
I commonly deal with particles with point masses and things of the sort and I'm not sure exactly what it could mean in layman's terms

Physics news on Phys.org
Enjamiering said:
I was browsing through the content section of my book and see the word particle mentioned many times in many chapters. Each time I read I start thinking that maybe it can mean more than subatomic particles.
I commonly deal with particles with point masses and things of the sort and I'm not sure exactly what it could mean in layman's terms

In classical physics, a particle is an ideal point mass.

In quantum mechanics and especially quantum field theory, the word "particle" is used, but it means something very different - electrons, photons, quarks, and all the rest of the subatomic zoo are not ideal point masses. There's no ambiguity or unclarity in the quantum mechanical description, but it doesn't match our intuition about how objects should behave.

Likes Enjamiering
Enjamiering said:
We used to speak about material points or point masses, now "particle" is frequently used instead.

All the above is perfectly ok thinking. The problem arose when 'they' started calling photons 'particles', which lumped them in with particles with mass. The properties of photons are, to my mind, sufficiently different for them to deserve a different word. I guess it's too late to do anything about that, unfortunately.

Likes vanhees71
Nugatory said:
In classical physics, a particle is an ideal point mass.

In quantum mechanics and especially quantum field theory, the word "particle" is used, but it means something very different - electrons, photons, quarks, and all the rest of the subatomic zoo are not ideal point masses. There's no ambiguity or unclarity in the quantum mechanical description, but it doesn't match our intuition about how objects should behave.
I'd say an electron in qft is a pointlike particle, having no internal stucture. What do you mean precisely by 'not ideal point masses'?

Edit never mind, I just read

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/163691/the-concept-of-particle-in-qft

I'd define a "classical pointlike particle" as a macroscopic object for which it is in some given context sufficient to be described just by the position of one geometrical point related to this object. Usually it's convenient to choose the center of mass (or in relativistic physics the center of energy) as this point. E.g., for the description of the motion of the Earth around the Sun, it is not too wrong to describe the Earth as a "point particle".

Elementary particles like electrons are usually not describable as classical point particles, because they must be described quantum theoretically.

FAQ: What exactly is meant by the word "particle"

1. What is the definition of a particle?

A particle is a tiny piece of matter that is considered to be the basic building block of everything in the universe. It can refer to subatomic particles, such as protons and electrons, or larger particles like atoms and molecules.

2. How do particles interact with each other?

Particles can interact with each other through various forces, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These interactions can determine the properties and behavior of matter.

3. Are particles only found in the physical world?

No, particles can also exist in the virtual world, such as in quantum mechanics. These virtual particles do not have a physical form but can still have an impact on the physical world through their interactions with other particles.

4. Can particles be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of mass and energy, particles cannot be created or destroyed, but they can be transformed into different forms. For example, particles can be created through nuclear reactions or destroyed through annihilation with their antiparticle.

5. How do particles contribute to the structure of matter?

The arrangement and interactions of particles determine the structure of matter. For example, the arrangement of particles in a crystal lattice forms the structure of a solid, while the interactions between particles in a gas determine its volume and pressure.

Back