What exactly is moment, and when is it zero?

In summary, moment is the force that causes rotation in a body. Pins allow rotation and have zero moment resistance, meaning that no moment can be transferred to the supports or other connecting bodies. However, this does not mean that the moment at a pin is always zero, as there may be external moments acting on the body at the pin. A better definition of a pinned joint is that it has zero moment resistance, but can still rotate about the joint. A moment can cause initial rotation, but is not necessary for continued rotation.
I've been dealing with the concept of moment this whole year, in statics/dynamics but I've never really completely understood it, just rather memorized it.

What I think moment is:
If some point on a body has moment, then this means it wants to rotate. So moment is essentially what causes rotation.

But here is something that I'm confused about:
Pins allow rotation, so they have zero moment.

That is what confuses me. I understand that pins don't resist moment, so there is no unknown moment about a pin. But according to my above definition of moment, if the moment at the point of the pin is zero then this means it will not rotate? But pins are supposed to allow rotation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a better definition of a pinned joint is that it has zero moment resistance. So no moment can be transferred to the supports or other connecting bodies. But that doesn't mean it can't rotate about the joint or about any other point for that matter.

Consider a free body rotating in space. There is no "moment" acting on it but it still rotates at the same speed. Some kind of moment caused this initial rotation but no moment is necessary for it to continue to rotate. So I would amend your definition to say that a moment can cause rotation.

Last edited:
Likes x86
paisiello2 said:
Probably a better definition of a pinned joint is that it has zero moment resistance. So no moment can be transferred to the supports or other connecting bodies. But that doesn't mean it can't rotate about the joint or about any other point for that matter.

Consider a free body rotating in space. There is no "moment" acting on it but it still rotates at the same speed. Some kind of moment caused this initial rotation but no moment is necessary for it to continue to rotate. So I would amend your definition to say that a moment can cause rotation.

I am still slightly confused.

is it possible for the sum of moments about a pin to not be zero?

A frictionless surface is not capable of exerting a tangential force on a body in contact with the surface, even though there may be tangential forces from other sources acting on the body (causing it to accelerate). A pin is not capable to exerting a moment on a body attached to the pin, even though there may be moments acting on the body from other sources (causing it to experience angular acceleration).

Chet

Likes x86
Chestermiller said:
A frictionless surface is not capable of exerting a tangential force on a body in contact with the surface, even though there may be tangential forces from other sources acting on the body (causing it to accelerate). A pin is not capable to exerting a moment on a body attached to the pin, even though there may be moments acting on the body from other sources (causing it to experience angular acceleration).

Chet

Ah okay. Thanks. Then it is possible for the moment at a pin to be nonzero. (However, the pin can't apply any moment to the body).

x86 said:
Ah okay. Thanks. Then it is possible for the moment at a pin to be nonzero. (However, the pin can't apply any moment to the body).
Yes. Exactly,

Likes x86

Related to What exactly is moment, and when is it zero?

1. What is a moment in science?

A moment in science refers to the turning effect produced by a force that causes an object to rotate around a pivot point or fulcrum. It is a measure of the tendency of an object to rotate about an axis.

2. How is moment calculated?

Moment is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point. Mathematically, it can be expressed as M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

3. What is meant by a zero moment?

A zero moment refers to the absence of any turning effect or rotation caused by a force. This can occur when the force is applied directly at the pivot point, resulting in no distance between the force and the pivot point.

4. When is the moment zero in an object?

The moment is zero in an object when the net torque or turning effect on the object is equal to zero. This can happen when the forces acting on the object are balanced, or when the distance from the pivot point is zero.

5. How does moment relate to equilibrium?

Moment is an important concept in understanding equilibrium in physics. In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of all the moments acting on the object must be zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise moments must cancel each other out, resulting in no net turning effect or rotation.