What exactly is periodic motion?

In summary: So basically, yes, the time for each cycle is always the same, but the amplitude will decrease over time due to damping.
SkyrimKhajiit
1. According to physicsclassroom.com, periodic motion is defined as "a motion that is regular and repeating." But the example included does not factor in damping (it's assumed that there's no air resistance and the spring will keep vibrating for eternity.)

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-0/Properties-of-Periodic-Motion3. I know periodic motion means that the time it takes to complete each cycle is the same, so does that mean that in periodic motion there is never damping (so periodic motion is only a concept?) or can there still be damping where the amplitude decreases, eventually reaching 0...?

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be damping, or no damping, or even negative damping. This doesn't change the underlying periodicity (much).

Chris Barkachi said:
1. According to physicsclassroom.com, periodic motion is defined as "a motion that is regular and repeating." But the example included does not factor in damping (it's assumed that there's no air resistance and the spring will keep vibrating for eternity.)

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/waves/Lesson-0/Properties-of-Periodic-Motion3. I know periodic motion means that the time it takes to complete each cycle is the same, so does that mean that in periodic motion there is never damping (so periodic motion is only a concept?) or can there still be damping where the amplitude decreases, eventually reaching 0...?
For strictly periodic motion, there is no damping.

I agree largely with SammyS (who is also supported by http://www2.hawaii.edu/~plam/ph170_summer/L13/13_Lecture_Lam.pdf). Periodic motion, strictly speaking, implies precise repetition of state, so any damping must be matched by a forcing. Harmonic oscillation does not imply such exact repetition, but allows scaling with time.

So basically we call this periodic motion because there are little to no real-life perfect examples in physics, but technically periodic motion involves no damping.

^Is that correct?

Also, I wanted to clarify this passage:

"The time it [mass on a spring] takes to complete one back and forth cycle is always the same amount of time. If it takes the mass 3.2 seconds for the mass to complete the first back and forth cycle, then it will take 3.2 seconds to complete the seventh back and forth cycle. It's like clockwork. It's so predictable that you could set your watch by it. In Physics, a motion that is regular and repeating is referred to as a periodic motion. Most objects that vibrate do so in a regular and repeated fashion; their vibrations are periodic."

When it says that the time for each cycle is constant, this is still true even considering damping, right? So even though the amplitude will decrease after each subsequent cycle, the time will stay constant, or is this incorrect?

Chris Barkachi said:
So basically we call this periodic motion because there are little to no real-life perfect examples in physics, but technically periodic motion involves no damping.

^Is that correct?

Also, I wanted to clarify this passage:

"The time it [mass on a spring] takes to complete one back and forth cycle is always the same amount of time. If it takes the mass 3.2 seconds for the mass to complete the first back and forth cycle, then it will take 3.2 seconds to complete the seventh back and forth cycle. It's like clockwork. It's so predictable that you could set your watch by it. In Physics, a motion that is regular and repeating is referred to as a periodic motion. Most objects that vibrate do so in a regular and repeated fashion; their vibrations are periodic."

When it says that the time for each cycle is constant, this is still true even considering damping, right? So even though the amplitude will decrease after each subsequent cycle, the time will stay constant, or is this incorrect?
As I posted, I don't accept that periodic absolutely implies no damping. It can still be precisely periodic if there is a forcing which, each cycle, compensates exactly for the energy lost by damping. In the real world, any forced damped system may settle into a steady periodic motion.
A pendulum clock driven by a constant force (hanging weights, say) is periodic, even though the pendulum swing is not exactly SHM, and even though it is damped.
If we relax the meaning of periodic to allow scaling with time (i.e., each cycle looks like the previous cycle, but attenuated or amplified by some factor), then we would only require the period of the cycle to be constant. Whether that will hold for a damped oscillation depends on the nature of the damping.
We can check this easily by applying a scaling factor to the displacement. If the equation has linear damping:
##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+b\frac{dx}{dt}+cx=0##
then replacing x everywhere by ##\alpha x## does not change the equation. The scaling factor cancels out. But if the equation is ##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+b\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+cx=0## it won't cancel, so the period will almost surely change with time.

Mathematically, a waveform whose peak amplitude is constantly varying, e.g., decaying and eventually dying away, is not periodic, because periodic means it repeats exactly and at fixed intervals, and a decaying waveform never repeats. This means a plucked guitar string's motion is not periodic in that formal sense. This does not stop us choosing to regard such a waveform as having a periodic oscillation and determining its period when it's convenient to do so, such as when the damping is slight. You do need to be guided by your textbook and context.

I think you'll find that in the real world there is not a single example where a mechanical vibration maintains an exactly constant frequency as it decays. But it is generally convenient to regard the frequency (hence period) as fixed where the error is miniscule.

NascentOxygen said:
Mathematically, a waveform whose peak amplitude is constantly varying, e.g., decaying and eventually dying away, is not periodic, because periodic means it repeats exactly and at fixed intervals, and a decaying waveform never repeats. This means a plucked guitar string's motion is not periodic in that formal sense. This does not stop us choosing to regard such a waveform as having a periodic oscillation and determining its period when it's convenient to do so, such as when the damping is slight. You do need to be guided by your textbook and context.

I think you'll find that in the real world there is not a single example where a mechanical vibration maintains an exactly constant frequency as it decays. But it is generally convenient to regard the frequency (hence period) as fixed where the error is miniscule.
Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at but I wasn't sure if it was right..

But about the time, is it true that the period (actual period, i.e. seconds) stays constant even if the system does not involve a periodic motion?

For example, Physics Classroom gives this graph and accompanying table:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/waves/u10l0b1.gif
http://i.gyazo.com/3138b953e2f7513307a6b6b7220f9ab5.png

The period is constant and yet the amplitude is decreasing..what about when the vibration becomes very little and eventually stops?

SkyrimKhajiit said:
But about the time, is it true that the period (actual period, i.e. seconds) stays constant even if the system does not involve a periodic motion?

For example, Physics Classroom gives this graph and accompanying table:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/waves/u10l0b1.gif
http://i.gyazo.com/3138b953e2f7513307a6b6b7220f9ab5.png

The period is constant and yet the amplitude is decreasing..what about when the vibration becomes very little and eventually stops?
I discussed all that in post #6. Is there something I need to explain more?

When data is measured to only 2 or 3 significant figures and to this accuracy seems to be unchanging, you can't conclude that it is "constant" in the mathematical meaning of the word. Certainly, the period of oscillation of many systems doesn't change much, but in most areas of science we'd want measurements to be much more accurate than to just 3 figures before the phenomenon could be formally labelled "constant".

Your attachment's table of data is perfectly reasonable, the period over that comparatively small number of oscillations is unlikely to show much change when measured to only 3 sig figs. (But how annoying would be an electronic watch that lost even one half of a second in every 1000 seconds?)

Don't forget that the common mathematical model for a decaying vibration has it never completely dying away, it just gets smaller and smaller and motion becomes zero only at time infinity.

Related to What exactly is periodic motion?

1. What is periodic motion?

Periodic motion is a type of motion where an object or system repeats the same motion over and over again in a regular pattern. It can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets around the sun, the swinging of a pendulum, or the vibrations of a guitar string.

2. What causes periodic motion?

Periodic motion is caused by the presence of a restoring force that brings the object or system back to its original position after being displaced. This restoring force can be gravitational, elastic, or electrostatic, depending on the specific situation.

3. How is periodic motion different from random motion?

While periodic motion follows a predictable and repetitive pattern, random motion does not have a specific pattern and is not predictable. In periodic motion, the object or system returns to its original position, while in random motion, the object or system can end up in different positions each time.

4. What factors affect the period of periodic motion?

The period of periodic motion is affected by the mass, the amplitude (maximum displacement from the equilibrium position), and the strength of the restoring force. The period is also influenced by external factors such as friction and air resistance.

5. How is periodic motion used in real-life applications?

Periodic motion has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in clocks, engines, musical instruments, and even in the movement of our bodies. Understanding periodic motion is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where it is used to design and analyze systems and predict their behavior.

Back