What Factors Increase the Acceleration on a Spinning Wheel?

• Thread starter bennyq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotational
In summary: All the other answer choices lead to an acceleration that is not 4 times the original.In summary, the magnitude of the acceleration of a point on a spinning wheel is increased by a factor of 4 when the magnitude of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitude of the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4.
bennyq

Homework Statement

The magnitude of the acceleration of a point on a spinning wheel is increased by a factor of 4 if:
A) the magnitues of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 4
B) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multuplied by a factor of 4 and the angular acceleration is not changed
C) the magnitues of the angular velocity and the angular acceleration are each multiplied by a factor of 2
D) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the angular acceleration is not changed
E) the magnitues of the angular velocity is multiplied by a factor of 2 and the magnitudeof the angular acceleration is multiplied by a factor of 4

answer is E

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay i tried working back from this and must be doing something wrong,

I start with Aradial = v^2/r = rω^2
and Atangential = rα

I rearange for A = Aradial + Atangentail (as vectors)

which is = r√α^2 + ω^4

subbing in 4 and 2 i get r√32

Physics news on Phys.org
You have interpreted "acceleration" in the question to mean the total acceleration.
For circular motion, radial acceleration (##\small{\ddot r}##) is zero - so you are summing the tangential and centripetal acceleration.

So ##a=r\sqrt{\omega^4+\alpha^2}##

So far so good - but
...what did you put 4 nd 2 into and why?

Consider, multiplying angular velocity by 2 means that where you see a ##\omega## before, you put a ##2\omega##.

Working in reverse is a good idea.
You need to put ##a_{new}=4a=4r\sqrt{\omega^4+\alpha^2}##... work out how that 4 fits against the angular terms.

Likes 1 person
bennyq said:
Okay i tried working back from this and must be doing something wrong,

I start with Aradial = v^2/r = rω^2
and Atangential = rα

I rearange for A = Aradial + Atangentail (as vectors)

which is = r√α^2 + ω^4

|a| = r√(α24) ,Now when you put αnew=4α and ωnew =2ω ,you get r√(16(α24)) = 4r√(α24)

Hence option E is correct.

ohhh of course.. thanks

I think your mistake is that you are substituting values when you should be substituting in ratios.

FINAL (I hope) EDIT:

I agree it's E.

Last edited:

Related to What Factors Increase the Acceleration on a Spinning Wheel?

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or center point. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, planets, and gears.

2. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around a fixed point. In linear motion, the velocity and acceleration are in the same direction, while in rotational motion, they are perpendicular to each other.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically measured in radians per second, and can be calculated by dividing the change in the angle by the change in time.

4. How does rotational motion relate to torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is directly related to rotational motion, as it is the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational motion?

Some common examples of rotational motion include spinning tops, a merry-go-round, a Ferris wheel, a spinning globe, and a swinging pendulum. Rotation is also involved in activities such as throwing a ball, riding a bike, and driving a car.