What factors influence a material's natural frequency?

In summary, you are looking for insight into the most fundamental factors which influence a materials resonant modes beyond just empirical mass and spring constant. You are also looking for theory-based insight, not empirical characteristics.
waves and change
Hi all,
Wanted to get some insight on a technical level as to what are the most fundamental factors which influence a materials natural frequency? Looking for theory based insight not impirical characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
waves and change said:
Hi all,
Wanted to get some insight on a technical level as to what are the most fundamental factors which influence a materials natural frequency? Looking for theory based insight not impirical characteristics.
Are you familiar with simple harmonic motion (SHM)? Like you get with a mass on a frictionless table that is attached by a spring to the table and is pulled a distance delta-x to stretch the spring and then is let go?. Can you show us the equation for the motion of that mass, based on its mass and the spring constant k?

And what equation would you use to determine the frequency of a guitar string when it is plucked, based on the linear mass density of the string, its tension, and its length?

:smile:

Thanks you for the insight but I am very familiar with these aspects of the topic. This is the reason why I stated in the question for the fundamental reason for a materials resonant modes beyond just the empirical mass and spring constant. Looking for insight at a chemistry level and QM.

Last edited:
waves and change said:
a materials natural frequency?
Is this about mechanical or em oscillations?

sophiecentaur said:
Is this about mechanical or em oscillations?

Mechanical

waves and change said:
Thanks you for the insight but I am very familiar with these aspects of the topic. This is the reason why I stated in the question for the fundamental reason for a materials resonant modes beyond just the empirical mass and spring constant. Looking for insight at a chemistry level and QM.
This isn't a QM issue. Natural frequency is a function of stiffness (spring constant) and mass only. Essentially, it is simplest modeled as a weight hanging from a spring:
http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bsapplec/natural.htm

russ_watters said:
This isn't a QM issue. Natural frequency is a function of stiffness (spring constant) and mass only. Essentially, it is simplest modeled as a weight hanging from a spring:
http://personal.cityu.edu.hk/~bsapplec/natural.htm

This absolutely is a QM issue and described by phonons to some degree. The classical approximation discussed in the link you cited was already discussed

http://grdelin.phy.hr/~ivo/Nastava/CvrstoStanje/arhiva/udzbenici/Upali_Siriwardane/586c4.htm

waves and change said:
This absolutely is a QM issue and described by phonons to some degree. The classical approximation discussed in the link you cited was already discussed

http://grdelin.phy.hr/~ivo/Nastava/CvrstoStanje/arhiva/udzbenici/Upali_Siriwardane/586c4.htm
Fair enough; it wasn't at all clear from what you said prior to my post. When I see mechanical resonant frequency cited, I think of the bulk object, not the vibration of individual atoms. You may have said QM but seemed to be describing something different.

Maybe at this point it would be helpful if you described what you are looking for beyond what is in the link you just posted. Or asked questions about what is in the link if there was something you didn't understand.

FYI, I'll drop out at this point since I'm a mechanical engineer, so bulk mechanical vibration is what I know, not QM.

russ_watters said:
Fair enough; it wasn't at all clear from what you said prior to my post. When I see mechanical resonant frequency cited, I think of the bulk object, not the vibration of individual atoms. You may have said QM but seemed to be describing something different.

Maybe at this point it would be helpful if you described what you are looking for beyond what is in the link you just posted. Or asked questions about what is in the link if there was something you didn't understand.

FYI, I'll drop out at this point since I'm a mechanical engineer, so bulk mechanical vibration is what I know, not QM.

Yeah sorry for the confusion. You are actually correct as the verbiage I used isn’t technically correct. “ natural frequency “ is usually used in the context of macroscopic phenomena. Microscopic resonance is described differently.

Thank you

Likes russ_watters

Related to What factors influence a material's natural frequency?

1. What is natural/resonant frequency?

The natural or resonant frequency is the frequency at which an object or system naturally vibrates or oscillates when disturbed. This frequency is determined by the physical characteristics and properties of the object or system.

2. How is natural/resonant frequency different from other types of frequencies?

Natural/resonant frequency is specific to each object or system and does not depend on external factors such as the amount of energy or force applied. Other types of frequencies, such as forced or damped frequencies, are influenced by external factors.

3. How is natural/resonant frequency calculated?

The natural/resonant frequency can be calculated using the formula f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass of the object or system, and k is the spring constant or stiffness of the object or system.

4. What is the importance of natural/resonant frequency in science and engineering?

The natural/resonant frequency is important in many fields of science and engineering, including acoustics, mechanics, and electrical engineering. It is used to study and analyze the behavior of objects and systems, as well as design and optimize structures and devices.

5. How can natural/resonant frequency be altered or controlled?

Natural/resonant frequency can be altered or controlled by changing the physical properties of the object or system, such as the mass or stiffness. It can also be affected by external factors, such as adding damping or changing the frequency of an applied force.