What fields have the most postdoc positions?

In summary: Thanks for pointing that out. In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of having strong and extensive computational skills in various job applications. The speaker shares their experience of starting a master's in applied mathematics after their PhD in experimental physics, which lacked computational skills. They also mention the importance of publishing and networking in the academic field. The question is then raised whether a master's in applied mathematics would enhance their prospects in postdoc applications. The expert responds that postdoc positions often require specific skills and a background in that area, but expanding one's skill set is still beneficial. The speaker clarifies their PhD research and the expert suggests that a master's in math may not directly help with postdoc opportunities in their field, but could be useful for
sabq
These days it seems like everywhere you apply one of the requirements is having "strong" and sometimes "extensive" "computational skills".

Well I already started a masters in applied math (after my PhD in experimental physics = zero computational skills). Before starting the masters it seemed like I was simply wasting time year after year and distancing myself away from research (being a part time instructor making less money than a graduate student with no promising future year after year :[)

I learned few lessons from this:
1. publish publish publish and publish even more!
2. make as many connections as possible and go to every conference you can!

My question is: will a masters in applied mathematics (in modeling and computing) help in the postdoc application (of course in addition to publishing and having connections)? Any suggestions on what I should do while in the masters program to enhance my prospects?

I appreciate any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
This really depends on the individual post doc positions that you're applying for. In my experience, post-doctoral positions are generally set up for people with very specific skill sets. That means they already have experience working on a particular problem or set of problems. So simply having some programming or computer skills in combination with an unrelated background is not going to be competative against individuals who essentially have already done a PhD in that area.

It's necessarily a bad idea to expand your skill set though.

What was your PhD research in?

Thank you Choppy, your suggestions are always helpful. When I applied to postdoc positions a while back, I found that most of them always require "excellent" "extensive" computational skills along side with the area of research they want you for.

Choppy said:
It's necessarily a bad idea to expand your skill set though.

I assume you wanted to say "It's not necessarily ..."?

Physics_UG said:
What was your PhD research in?

Solid state physics, "thin films" etc.

Was your PhD experimental?
Why would you need "computational skills" for a post-doc related to thin films?
Are you sure this wasn't just words added by HR departments?
Presumably you are already familiar with the software relevant to your fields if you've done a PhD (perhaps software for AFM analysis etc) and that should be all you need.

A masters in math might be a good idea for other reasons, but I can't see why it would help you get a post-doc related to your PhD research; unless you are planning to swtich fields and work on some theoretical "technical" problem as a post-doc (somethign akin to writing image analysis software for thin films characherisation). However, that would be VERY specilized and your chances of finding such a position would presumably be slim.

sabq said:
Thank you Choppy, your suggestions are always helpful. When I applied to postdoc positions a while back, I found that most of them always require "excellent" "extensive" computational skills along side with the area of research they want you for.

I assume you wanted to say "It's not necessarily ..."?

Oops. Yes.

Related to What fields have the most postdoc positions?

1. What are the most in-demand fields for postdoctoral positions?

The most in-demand fields for postdoctoral positions vary, but generally include the STEM fields (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Within these fields, specific areas such as biotechnology, computer science, and environmental science tend to have a high number of postdoc opportunities.

2. Are there any non-STEM fields with a high number of postdoctoral positions?

While the majority of postdoctoral positions are in STEM fields, there are also opportunities in non-STEM fields such as humanities, social sciences, education, and business. These positions may have a different focus and may not be as numerous as those in STEM fields, but they can still provide valuable experience and career advancement opportunities.

3. How do I find out which fields have the most postdoctoral positions available?

The best way to find out which fields have the most postdoctoral positions available is to research job listings and postdoctoral databases. You can also reach out to your advisor, mentors, and colleagues in your field to gather information and insights on current postdoc opportunities.

4. Are there certain regions or countries that have more postdoctoral positions than others?

Postdoctoral positions can be found in various regions and countries around the world. However, certain regions such as the United States, Europe, and Asia tend to have a higher concentration of postdoc opportunities due to their strong research and academic institutions.

5. How competitive is the job market for postdoctoral positions?

The job market for postdoctoral positions can be competitive, especially in popular fields and top research institutions. However, the level of competition can also vary depending on the specific field, location, and funding availability. It is important to have a strong research background, relevant experience, and a well-crafted application to increase your chances of securing a postdoc position.