What Force Accelerates a Sled on Snowy Ground?

• Thread starter mmoran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves a sled of mass 13.4 kilograms being pulled along flat snow-covered ground, with a static friction coefficient of 0.334 and a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.111. The question asks for the force needed to accelerate the sled at a rate of 2.69 meters per second per second. Using the formula am=f, the calculated force was 36.046, but it was marked incorrect. The solution may require factoring in frictional force and adding it to the calculated force. The solution also suggests creating a freebody diagram and considering the forces acting on the sled.
mmoran

Homework Statement

A sled of mass 13.4 kilograms is pulled along flat snow-covered ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.334, and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.111.
I solved both part a and b, but I am having trouble with part c.
c. Once moving, what force is needed to accelerate the sled 2.69 meters per second per second?

Homework Equations

am=f
u=f/n

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused on how to do this.
So Its asking for the force pushing the sled forward. Using the formula am=f
if i plug in acceleration and the mass i get 13.4x2.69=36.046, but it said it was wrong.
Am I missing something? Do I need to factor in frictional force?
Would I add 14.6 to 36.046? 14.6 is the force needed to push the object at a constant velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
mmoran said:

Homework Statement

A sled of mass 13.4 kilograms is pulled along flat snow-covered ground. The static friction coefficient is 0.334, and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.111.
I solved both part a and b, but I am having trouble with part c.
c. Once moving, what force is needed to accelerate the sled 2.69 meters per second per second?

Homework Equations

am=f
u=f/n

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused on how to do this.
So Its asking for the force pushing the sled forward. Using the formula am=f
if i plug in acceleration and the mass i get 13.4x2.69=36.046, but it said it was wrong.
Am I missing something? Do I need to factor in frictional force?
Would I add 14.6 to 36.046? 14.6 is the force needed to push the object at a constant velocity.

Do a freebody diagram of the accelerating sleigh. What are the forces acting on the sleigh? What do they necessarily sum to?

AM

Hello,

In this problem, we are given the mass of the sled (13.4 kg) and the acceleration (2.69 m/s^2). We are also given the two coefficients of friction, static (0.334) and kinetic (0.111).

To find the force needed to accelerate the sled, we need to use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. So, in this case, the force needed would be:

F = 13.4 kg x 2.69 m/s^2 = 36.046 N

This is the total force needed to accelerate the sled, but we need to take into account the friction forces as well.

The friction force can be calculated using the formula Ff=μN, where Ff is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force, in this case, is equal to the weight of the sled, which is mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

So, for the static friction force, we have:

Ff = μN = (0.334)(13.4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 42.136 N

And for the kinetic friction force, we have:

Ff = μN = (0.111)(13.4 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) = 13.076 N

Now, to find the net force needed to accelerate the sled, we need to subtract the friction force from the total force:

Net force = 36.046 N - 42.136 N = -6.09 N

Note that the net force is negative because the friction force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion.

So, the force needed to accelerate the sled 2.69 m/s^2 would be 6.09 N in the direction of motion. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Related to What Force Accelerates a Sled on Snowy Ground?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects or surfaces that are in contact with each other.

2. What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the irregularities and roughness of surfaces that come in contact with each other, which creates resistance to motion.

3. How is friction measured?

Friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the force required to overcome the resistance between two surfaces.

4. What are some examples of friction?

Some examples of friction include the rubbing of hands together to create heat, the tires of a car gripping the road, and the resistance between a pencil and paper when writing.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smoother surface between two objects. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as Teflon, can also reduce friction.