What force am i overcoming when i move an object? break it?

In summary, when moving an object, you are typically overcoming the force of friction, which is caused by the normal force between the object and the ground. When pushing an object with enough force to break it, the object still exerts an equal and opposite reaction on you, in accordance with Newton's third law.
RUphysics3

Homework Statement

What force am i overcoming when i move an object? break it?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if there's a forum for more basic conceptual topics but I'm learning about Newtons. I learned the famous for action there is an = and opposite reaction. When I push , let's say my desk, am I simply exerting more force than the desks mass? If I pushed the desk with enough force that it broke, is it still exerting an = and opposite reaction on me?

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
What force do you think is acting on it?
The force acting on the table is me. I believe that if I overcome the weight of the table with my force it will move..Maybe if I overcome the forces holding together the table it will break. But at that point, It's still exerting a force equal and opposite on me?

You talk about overcoming the "weight of the table." What force are you actually trying to 'overcome' here?

mrnike992 said:
You talk about overcoming the "weight of the table." What force are you actually trying to 'overcome' here?
Well weight (m*g) and friction, right?

For the sake of simplicity, we'll say that you're pushing only in the 'x' direction. Perfectly horizontally. This would mean that the force you'd need to overcome would indeed be friction.

Friction here, is due to the normal force between the ground and the bottom of the table. In this situation, force normal would be equal to the weight of the table, or the force of gravity acting upon the table.

As for this;
RUphysics3 said:
is it still exerting an = and opposite reaction on me?
What does Newton's third law say?

Likes RUphysics3

Related to What force am i overcoming when i move an object? break it?

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the strength or energy that is required to move an object or to change its state of motion.

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

3. What force am I overcoming when I move an object?

When you move an object, you are overcoming the force of inertia. Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion.

4. What force am I overcoming when I break an object?

When you break an object, you are overcoming the force of cohesion. Cohesion is the force that holds the particles of a material together.

5. How does the force applied affect the movement of an object?

The force applied to an object determines the acceleration of the object. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration will be. This is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied and inversely proportional to the mass of the object.