What Force Does a Concrete Support Exert at One End of a Bridge?

In summary, the problem involves a hiker of 986 N weight crossing a horizontal bridge of 3550 N weight and stopping at one-fifth of the bridge's length. The question is to find the magnitude of the force exerted by the concrete support at the near end of the bridge. Using the equation T = F x d, the solution involves calculating the torques produced by the person's weight, the bridge's weight, and the unknown force of the left support. The resultant force of the bridge's weight must be considered in the calculation.
Hypnos_16

Homework Statement

A hiker, who weighs 986 N, is strolling through the woods and crosses a small horizontal bridge. The bridge is uniform, weighs 3550 N, and rests on two concrete supports, one at each end. He stops one-fifth of the way along the bridge. What is the magnitude of the force that a concrete support exerts on the bridge at the near end

Weight of Person = 986N
Weight of Bridge = 3550N
d = 1/5th of Bridge length

Homework Equations

This is a torque question, so the equation is T = F x d
i know that the force is the person times gravity, but that's already done.
However i don't know the length of the bridge, I've tried dividing the mans mass by 5 and adding that to the bridge's weight, but to no prevail. i really need some help here guys

The Attempt at a Solution

no really attempts
T = 986 x 0.2
T = 197.2
T = 197.2 + 3550
T = 3747.2

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypnos_16 said:

Homework Statement

A hiker, who weighs 986 N, is strolling through the woods and crosses a small horizontal bridge. The bridge is uniform, weighs 3550 N, and rests on two concrete supports, one at each end. He stops one-fifth of the way along the bridge. What is the magnitude of the force that a concrete support exerts on the bridge at the near end

Weight of Person = 986N
Weight of Bridge = 3550N
d = 1/5th of Bridge length

Homework Equations

This is a torque question, so the equation is T = F x d
i know that the force is the person times gravity, but that's already done.
However i don't know the length of the bridge, I've tried dividing the mans mass by 5 and adding that to the bridge's weight, but to no prevail. i really need some help here guys

The Attempt at a Solution

no really attempts
T = 986 x 0.2
T = 197.2
T = 197.2 + 3550
T = 3747.2
Tis is a problem in equilibrium where the net sum of the torques from each force about any point must equal 0. Try summing torques about the right end of the bridge. You will have torques produced by both the person's weight force, the bridge's weight force, and the left support unknown force. Where does the resultant force of the bridge's weight act??

Related to What Force Does a Concrete Support Exert at One End of a Bridge?

What is "Bridge Support Without Lengths"?

"Bridge Support Without Lengths" is a concept in bridge engineering where the traditional concept of using lengths or spans to support a bridge is replaced with alternative methods such as using arches, cables, or suspension systems.

Why is "Bridge Support Without Lengths" important?

"Bridge Support Without Lengths" is important because it allows for more flexible and creative designs for bridges. It also reduces the amount of materials and construction time needed for building a bridge, making it a more cost-effective solution.

What are the advantages of using "Bridge Support Without Lengths"?

The main advantage of using "Bridge Support Without Lengths" is the increased flexibility in bridge design. This allows for structures to be built in challenging terrains or over large bodies of water. It also reduces the need for support pillars, making the bridge less obstructive for water traffic or environmental concerns.

What are the disadvantages of using "Bridge Support Without Lengths"?

One disadvantage of using "Bridge Support Without Lengths" is the potential for higher construction costs due to the use of specialized materials and techniques. Another disadvantage is that these types of bridges may require more maintenance and inspections due to their unique designs.

What are some examples of "Bridge Support Without Lengths" in use?

Some examples of "Bridge Support Without Lengths" in use include the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, which uses suspension cables, and the Ponte Vecchio in Florence, Italy, which uses arches. Another example is the Millau Viaduct in France, which uses a combination of cable-stayed and suspension methods.

Back