What Force is Needed to Maintain Constant Velocity?

In summary: And that's as far as we can go.In summary, we need to know the time (t) in order to calculate the force (F) required to give a 20 kg mass a velocity of 2 m/s, neglecting friction.
bionut
A 20 kg mass is sitting on the horizontal surface of a table top. Calculate the following Neglecting friction, calculate the force required to give the mass a velocity of 2ms.

So far all I can think of is... F=ma

m=20kg
a=?

a= Vf-Vi / t

... I am stuck ... all I can think of is F = mv (velocity being constant therefore its not accelearting? ) F = 20 kg x 2ms/ = 40Nm (j) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
bionut said:
A 20 kg mass is sitting on the horizontal surface of a table top. Calculate the following Neglecting friction, calculate the force required to give the mass a velocity of 2ms.

So far all I can think of is... F=ma

m=20kg
a=?

a= Vf-Vi / t

... I am stuck ... all I can think of is F = mv (velocity being constant therefore its not accelearting? ) F = 20 kg x 2ms/ = 40Nm (j) ?

Not enough information.

We do know that no force is necessary to maintain a velocity of 2 m/s.

As to attaining a vel of 2 m/s from rest, we need to know how quickly we want that to happen - ie the acceleration.

We have v = v_0 + a*t. And from F=ma we see that a = F/m. So, plugging in we can get v = v_0 + (F/m)*t. Since the block is at rest, v_0 is 0. We desire a velocity of 2m/s, so we plug in: 2 = 0 + (F/20)*t, or F = 40/t.

FAQ: What Force is Needed to Maintain Constant Velocity?

1. What is force with constant velocity?

Force with constant velocity refers to a situation in which an object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line with no acceleration. Forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in a steady motion.

2. What is the relationship between force and constant velocity?

The relationship between force and constant velocity can be described by Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. In other words, a force is needed to initiate or change the velocity of an object.

3. How is force with constant velocity different from force with acceleration?

Force with constant velocity and force with acceleration are different in that force with constant velocity results in a steady motion while force with acceleration causes a change in an object's velocity. In the case of constant velocity, the net force is zero, while in the case of acceleration, there is a net force acting on the object.

4. What are some examples of force with constant velocity?

Some examples of force with constant velocity include a car moving at a steady speed on a straight road, a ball rolling on a flat surface, or a person walking at a constant pace on a level ground.

5. How can force with constant velocity be calculated?

Force with constant velocity can be calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration (which is zero in this case). This equation can also be used to calculate the force needed to maintain a constant velocity against frictional forces.

Back