What Forces Act on a Chain Hanging from a Table?

In summary, the external net force that causes the chain to accelerate is 2.94N and the acceleration of the chain is 4.9m/s^2.
Vroc

Homework Statement

A heavy metal chain of mass 0.6 kg hangs over the edge of a table. When half the chain is hanging over the edge, what is the magnitude of the external net force that causes the chain to accelerate? What's the acceleration of the chain when half of it is over the edge?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma
Fnet = mg (Object in free fall)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an idea of what to do here but I'm not sure if I'm correct or not.
Fnet= mg
0.3 (half over the edge) times 9.8 (gravity) = 2.94N. I can only guess that 2.94 is the external net force. I think I might have to factor in the other 0.3 in some way but I'm not completely sure.

I don't know how to calculate the acceleration. please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
So F1 pulls the chain off the table - 0.3g N - ok
But the other part of the chain is preventing that from happening , well to the best of its ability which ought to be friction.
We have to assume that the other part of the chain isn t parallel to the side of the table and right on the edge or it would fall off immediately.

Tricky question, right now, all I can think of is friction that is stopping the loose end of the chain moving.

Damn, I guess I'll have to wait a little bit longer for someone to reply that knows what they're doing.

Your first equation (Fnet = ma) could be useful. What are the forces acting on a chain?

The forces acting on a chain are Fg, Fn, Ft and Ff, why? How can Fnet= ma help?

Could you draw a fbd for the half of the chain that lies on a table?

Okay I drew it. FBD of hanging object only has Fg and Ft

The one on the table has FN, Fg and Ft. ?

Exactly. Could you now tell what is Fnet?

Tension? But I don't know how to calculate it.

Check the fbd I attached. Does it help?

Attachments

• fbd.JPG
    fbd.JPG
    6.6 KB · Views: 416
A little but I just calculated each of those and subtracted. It comes to zero.

Can you please tell me how you got those formulas?

Well, I "cut" the chain on half. I know that only force on the hanging chain is m/2*g. That force is also "transferred" on the part which lies on the table. After that, you make the equations.

But, without fbd you can guess that mg of the hanging chain is pulling him down and the Ff which comes from lying half of the chain is trying to hold him in place.

Attachments

• fbd2.JPG
    fbd2.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 395
What does N in your equation stand for? Just normal force?

Also, If the magnitude of the external net force is 0, That makes the acceleration also 0 correct because Fnet= Ma
0= 0.3 x a
0 divided by 0.3 = 0.

That makes them both zero.

No, I explained it badly.

Please ignore attached photos.

Let's try like this: you have a half chain lying on the table. The friction force is mass of that chain (half of it which is on the table) multiplied by friction factor and gravity.

The other force that is acting on it is the force that is "pulling him down". That is the mass of half the chain that is hanging multiplied by gravity.

Those two forces make Fnet, ant they differ in direction: Fnet= 0.5*m*g-0.5*m*g*u, but i don't see gravity factor anywhere...

What the does "u" stand for in your equation?

Vroc said:
What the does "u" stand for in your equation?

Friction coefficient. But I don't see you have it here...

My question is why are you guys trying to incorporate friction? It says in the question the chain is accelerating, which means there is a net force. So the net force of the object when it is half over is simply m/2 * g. The object is not in equilibrium, so there is nothing that definitely says there is friction. You're trying to find acceleration, the whole chain is accelerating, not only the falling half, so the mass of the system is the entire .6. So .6a = .3(9.8) so a = (.3 * 9.8)/.6 and a = 9.8 / 2 and a = 4.9m/s^2

Also your external net force is correct at 2.94N

Related to What Forces Act on a Chain Hanging from a Table?

1. What is the Second Law of Motion?

The Second Law of Motion, also known as Newton's Second Law, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What is the equation for the Second Law of Motion?

The equation for the Second Law of Motion is F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. This equation means that the force applied to an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. How does the Second Law of Motion explain the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration?

The Second Law of Motion explains that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be, as long as the mass remains constant. It also states that the greater the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be when the same force is applied.

4. Can you provide an example of the Second Law of Motion in action?

An example of the Second Law of Motion in action is when a person pushes a shopping cart. The force they apply on the cart causes it to accelerate, as it has a smaller mass compared to the force applied. This is why a heavier cart requires more force to accelerate at the same rate as a lighter cart.

5. How does the Second Law of Motion relate to the other laws of motion?

The Second Law of Motion is closely related to the First Law of Motion (Law of Inertia), which states that an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The Second Law of Motion explains how unbalanced forces affect the motion of an object. It also leads to the Third Law of Motion (Action-Reaction Law), which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.