What Formulas are Used to Put an Object into Orbit?

• Thread starter edo1493
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of putting an object in orbit and the resources needed for a scientific project. The speaker mentions using Kepler's laws and calculating tangential velocity, but is unsure of how NASA puts satellites in orbit. They also mention needing to write a paper and finding references on orbital mechanics. A potential resource is suggested, with a link provided.
edo1493
Hi guys! I am really involved in a scientific project. I have to put in orbit an object. I was wondering what formulas I could use..? I know pretty well kepler's laws, which are very helpful, but I don't know how to put in orbit an object... ?
I can easily calculate its tangential velocity and other stuff..but how does NASA put in orbit satellites?

Thank you. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

These are very broad questions...

Yes I know. I need to write a paper on it; do you know if there are some references abouth this physics area ? I also have to find a way to keep in orbit the object.

edo1493 said:
Yes I know. I need to write a paper on it; do you know if there are some references abouth this physics area ? I also have to find a way to keep in orbit the object.

google "orbital mechanics". One hit that I got:

http://www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm#launch.

Hello! Putting an object into orbit is a complex process that requires careful planning and precise calculations. You are correct in mentioning Kepler's laws, which describe the motion of objects in orbit around a central body. In order to put an object into orbit, we must first determine the desired orbit and its parameters, such as altitude and inclination.

Next, we use the laws of motion and gravitation, along with the equations for centripetal force and orbital velocity, to calculate the necessary tangential velocity for the object to achieve and maintain its desired orbit. This velocity must also take into account the Earth's rotation and gravitational pull.

NASA and other space agencies use powerful rockets to launch satellites into orbit. These rockets provide the necessary thrust to overcome Earth's gravitational pull and reach the desired altitude and velocity. They also have complex guidance and control systems to ensure the object is placed into the correct orbit.

In addition to the initial launch, maintaining an orbit also requires constant adjustments and corrections to account for any external forces, such as atmospheric drag or perturbations from other objects in space.

I hope this helps answer your question. Best of luck with your project!

FAQ: What Formulas are Used to Put an Object into Orbit?

1. How do you calculate the trajectory for putting an object into orbit?

The trajectory for putting an object into orbit is calculated using the laws of orbital mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. This involves taking into account the mass of the object, the gravitational pull of the planet or celestial body it is orbiting, and the initial velocity of the object.

2. What is the most common method for launching an object into orbit?

The most common method for launching an object into orbit is using a rocket. Rockets use controlled explosions to create thrust and propel the object into space. They are designed to detach stages as they ascend, allowing the object to reach higher altitudes and achieve orbital velocity.

3. How do you maintain an object's orbit once it is in space?

To maintain an object's orbit once it is in space, it must maintain a balance between its forward momentum and the gravitational pull of the planet or celestial body it is orbiting. This is achieved by adjusting the object's speed and direction using thrusters or other propulsion methods.

4. What factors can affect an object's orbit?

Several factors can affect an object's orbit, including changes in atmospheric conditions, gravitational pull from other objects, and solar activity. These can cause the object to deviate from its intended orbit and may require adjustments to maintain its trajectory.

5. How is an object's orbital period determined?

The orbital period of an object is determined by its distance from the planet or celestial body it is orbiting and its initial velocity. The further the object is from the body, the longer its orbital period will be. The initial velocity also affects the orbital period, as a higher velocity will result in a shorter orbital period.

Back