What hands on trade would benefit an electrical engineer?

In summary: They may also find employment in research and development, as well as manufacturing. Woodworking, on the other hand, is not as commonly found in a career in engineering, but it is still a skill that can be beneficial. Basic carpentry skills are always helpful, and can be applied in a variety of settings.
DeeJayCruiser
I'm going into my second year of a 2 year electrical technology diploma (technologists are like middle men between engineers and technicians), and got hooked on discovery channels' show "biggest brain theory" recently. More than anything, the documenting of the contestants' work in the workshops reminded me that there are a lot of great skills that are out there, but not necessarily ones that are covered in a standard curriculum.

I am debating between an intro to welding class, perhaps a woodworking class, or something along those lines, but between any of those trades classes does anyone have recommendations for something that would be more applicable and even beneficial in the field of elec. engineering?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Wood working in general is great because you are going to need that skill to survive in a house down the road. Or you can pay someone $25 to $35 an hour to work on your house for you who has these skills. However, it will not lend itself towards engineering. But, being able to fall back on this skill in recessions is a great asset. Basic home remodeling skills are always great on any level.

Welding is good if you are into cars and motorcycles or that sort of thing. Clearly, to make a weld you need a lot of electricity, but again it doesn't really lend itself to electrical engineering. Most people don't need things welded too often, so if you do need a welder prob just better to pay someone. If you do have tons of welds to do down the road, great...go learn it and it will benefit you down the road.

However, a side job wiring houses absolutely lends itself to electrical engineering. Make money now and you will be more prepared for school. Again, you can fall back to it in recession times as well.

thanks psparky. Welding does interest me, but as you mentioned it's probably unlikely that I'll be welding things on my own, while wood-work will likely be commonplace throughout my life.

Appreciate the feedback!

Welding engineers enjoy terrific employability in power plant construction and maintenance.

As an electrical engineer, there are many hands-on trades that could benefit you in your field. Welding and woodworking are definitely useful skills to have, as they can help you understand the physical components and structures of electrical systems. However, I would also recommend exploring classes or workshops related to programming, circuit design, and electronics. These skills are crucial in the field of electrical engineering and can greatly enhance your understanding and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, learning about project management and communication skills can also be beneficial in your career as an engineer. It's important to continuously expand your knowledge and skills in various areas, as it can make you a well-rounded and versatile engineer.

FAQ: What hands on trade would benefit an electrical engineer?

What hands on trade would benefit an electrical engineer?

1. What is the benefit of learning welding for an electrical engineer?

Learning welding can benefit an electrical engineer by providing them with the ability to fabricate and repair metal components and structures. This can come in handy when working on electrical systems that require metal components such as panels, enclosures, or supports.

2. Is plumbing a useful trade for an electrical engineer to learn?

Yes, plumbing can be a valuable trade for an electrical engineer to learn. It can provide them with the skills to install and maintain water and gas lines, which can be necessary for certain types of electrical systems, such as those used in industrial or commercial buildings.

3. How can carpentry benefit an electrical engineer?

Carpentry skills can be beneficial for an electrical engineer as it allows them to construct and repair wooden structures for their electrical systems. This can include building mounting brackets, cable trays, or even building custom panels or enclosures.

4. Would learning HVAC be useful for an electrical engineer?

Learning HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) can be useful for an electrical engineer as it can provide them with the knowledge and skills to design, install, and maintain HVAC systems. This can be particularly useful when working on large electrical systems that require proper cooling and ventilation.

5. How can learning basic machining benefit an electrical engineer?

Having basic machining skills can benefit an electrical engineer by allowing them to create custom parts and components for their electrical systems. This can include fabricating metal plates, brackets, or even custom connectors that may not be readily available on the market.

Back