What Happens to a Charged Ring When Current in a Nearby Wire is Halved?

In summary, when the current in the wire is reduced, the magnetic field decreases and the ring will slide towards the bottom of the figure due to the Lorentz force acting on its positively charged particles.
cpcolts

Homework Statement

The figure shows an insulating ring and an infinite straight wire resting on the surface of an infinite plane. The wire is fixed in position, but the ring slides without friction on the surface of the plane. The ring is uniformly charged, with net positive charge Q. Initially, the wire carries a constant current I towards the top of the figure, and the ring is stationary. At time t=0, the current in the wire is reduced to I/2. Which of the following best describes the motion of the ring after the current is reduced?

a. The ring will spin clockwise and slide away from the wire.
b. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the wire.
c. The ring will spin clockwise and remain stationary.
d. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the wire.
e. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the wire.
f. The ring will spin counterclockwise and remain stationary.
g. The ring will not spin, but it will slide away from the wire.
h. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
i. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
j. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the bottom of the figure.
k. None of the above (please describe what does happen).

Homework Equations

Force of Magnetic field= (mu-naught) (I^2)/(2*pi*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so i feel like the answer is j. because when the current decreases the magnetic field will also decrease which will let the ring go and it slide down.
But I am not sure that the answer is right though.

Can someone please give me a reasoning towards the right answer?

Attachments

• puzzle2.gif
    puzzle2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org

You are correct in thinking that the answer is j. When the current is reduced, the magnetic field created by the wire will also decrease. This decrease in magnetic field will result in a decrease in the force acting on the ring, causing it to move towards the bottom of the figure. This is due to the fact that the ring is positively charged and will experience a force in the opposite direction of the magnetic field. Therefore, the ring will slide towards the bottom of the figure as it is no longer held in place by the magnetic force. This is also known as the Lorentz force, which is given by the equation you mentioned in your post.

I hope this helps clarify the concept for you. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

Related to What Happens to a Charged Ring When Current in a Nearby Wire is Halved?

1. What is the purpose of studying "Physics: Hoop, Line and Stinker"?

The purpose of studying this topic is to understand the fundamental principles and laws of physics that govern the motion of objects in circular and linear motion. It also helps us understand how these principles apply to real-life situations such as sports and games.

2. What is the difference between hoop and line motion in physics?

In hoop motion, an object moves in a circular path around a fixed point, while in line motion, an object moves in a straight line. The principles and equations used to describe these types of motion are different, but they both follow the laws of physics.

3. Can you explain the concept of centripetal force in hoop motion?

Centripetal force is the force that is directed towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in that path. In hoop motion, this force is necessary to counteract the natural tendency of an object to move in a straight line and maintain its circular path.

4. How does hoop motion relate to real-life situations?

Hoop motion is present in many everyday activities such as riding a bicycle, driving a car, and even throwing a ball. Understanding the principles of hoop motion can help us improve our skills in these activities and also design and improve technologies that rely on circular motion.

5. What is the significance of studying "Physics: Hoop, Line and Stinker" in the field of science?

Studying this topic is important because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of motion and how they apply to different scenarios. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and sports science. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations that aid in the development of new technologies and advancements in various industries.