What Happens to Light Speed After Passing Through Glass?

• Thread starter ccf788
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirrors
In summary, the speed of light in air is less than when it was in the glass block. Its speed is less than before it entered the glass block.
ccf788
A light ray in air enters and passes through a square block of glass. What can be stated with regard to its speed after it emerges from the block?
a) Its speed is less than when in glass
b) Its speed is less than before it entered glass
c) Its speed is same as that in glass
d) Its speed is same as that before it entered glass

and

In order to see a huge right-side-up image of yourself, you should use a concave mirror and place your face:
a)inside the focal point
b)at the focal point
c)between the focal point and twice the focal poing
d)at twice the focal point
e)beyond twice the focal point

I think the answer to this one is a, but I am not positive.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have to say the answer to the first one is 'b' since the speed of light is constant(for the material that it is in) and if both sides of the block are the same material, like air, then the speed will be the same on either side.

For the second one, the answer is a. It will be an enlarged, virtual, image. Here's an article to help explain what goes on with images in a concave mirror. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refln/U13L3e.html

ccf788 said:
A light ray in air enters and passes through a square block of glass. What can be stated with regard to its speed after it emerges from the block?
a) Its speed is less than when in glass
b) Its speed is less than before it entered glass
c) Its speed is same as that in glass
d) Its speed is same as that before it entered glass
Light, in a vacuum, travels at just under 3 x 108ms-1. As soon as a medium is put in the way, its speed decreases. It may not be by a lot but you can see the difference when it enters a glass block, as it appears to 'bend' the light. The speed of light in the same medium is the same and the answer is not 'b'.

So, if the medium is the same on the exit side of the block as on the enterance side of the block (e.g. it travels in air before and after it is in the glass block), what do you think we can say? Remember, light in the same medium is the same speed.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Last edited:
Romperstomper said:
I'd have to say the answer to the first one is 'b' since the speed of light is constant(for the material that it is in) and if both sides of the block are the same material, like air, then the speed will be the same on either side.

So I don't think you mean "b".

So would its speed be the same as that in glass or would its speed be the same as that before it entered glass? I'm still confused.

OlderDan said:
So I don't think you mean "b".
Let me quote myself:
The Bob said:
The speed of light in the same medium is the same and the answer is not 'b'.
:-p

To the question:
ccf788 said:
So would its speed be the same as that in glass or would its speed be the same as that before it entered glass? I'm still confused.
So you have narrowed it down to the same speed as in the glass block or the speed before it enters the glass block. Well when the light comes out of the block it enters a medium. What is this medium?? When was it last in this medium??

The Bob (2004 ©)

Related to What Happens to Light Speed After Passing Through Glass?

1. How do mirrors reflect light?

Mirrors reflect light through a process called "specular reflection." This means that light rays hit the smooth surface of the mirror and bounce off at the same angle they hit, creating an image that appears to be behind the mirror.

2. Why do mirrors reverse left and right, but not up and down?

Mirrors reverse left and right because they reflect light rays in the opposite direction. However, they do not reverse up and down because they do not change the orientation of the image. When standing in front of a mirror, your head is still above your feet, but your left and right sides are switched.

3. What is the difference between a plane mirror and a concave mirror?

A plane mirror is a flat, smooth surface that reflects light rays in a straight line. A concave mirror, on the other hand, has a curved surface that reflects light rays in a more concentrated manner, creating a magnified or distorted image.

4. Can mirrors create infinite reflections?

Yes, mirrors can create infinite reflections. This phenomenon is called the "mirror effect" and occurs when two mirrors are placed facing each other. The light bounces back and forth between the mirrors, creating an infinite number of reflections.

5. How are mirrors used in scientific experiments?

Mirrors are used in scientific experiments to reflect and direct light in a controlled manner. This can help scientists observe and study the behavior of light, as well as create precise measurements and images. Mirrors are also used in telescopes and microscopes to magnify and enhance images for further analysis.