What Happens to Op-Amp Gain When Switch is On?

In summary: I'm in Melbourne. In summary, when the switch is off, the gain of the non-inverting Op-Amp circuit is A = 1 + (R1+R2)/R3. However, when the switch is turned on, only R2 is shorted and the gain becomes A = 1 + (R1)/R3. It is important to note that when drawing a circuit diagram, junction points must be indicated to show connections between wires.
foobag
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8362/opamp2.png

Lets say we are given a non-inverting Op-Amp

The gain of this circuit would be A = 1 + (R1+R2)/R3 if the switch is off.

What happens when the switch is turned on? It shorts the R1 and R2 resistors am I correct? Does this mean that R1 and R2 will behave as if they are in parallel, and decrease the overall gain of this amplifier?

Appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
As you have drawn it, only R2 is shorted.

So, the gain is A = 1 + (R1)/R3.

ah ok, thank you for your help!

As the circuit is drawn it doesn't work (in any sensible way) when the switch is open as there is no negative feedback.

Where two wires cross on a circuit diagram you MUST place a "junction point" (filled in dot) if the two wires are connected at that point. Otherwise there is NO connection. This is the standard convention.

Another convention is to draw a hump where there is a crossover that doesn't touch.

Yet another is draw a broken line where it passes under another wire.

All three methods are used but I like the solid circle method as it is unambiguous.

In this case, there is apparently a connection at each side of the resistor with the switch across it.

Last edited:
vk6kro said:
Another convention is to draw a hump where there is a crossover that doesn't touch.
Yeah but that is somewhat outdated now. The most common convention (which is used almost universally in circuits and schematic software) is the use of the junction point "dot".

btw UART, where are you in oz? Up very late unless you are in WA?
Yeah I'm just up late.

Related to What Happens to Op-Amp Gain When Switch is On?

1. What is an op-amp resistor short?

An op-amp resistor short refers to a situation where the input and output resistances of an operational amplifier (op-amp) are very low, resulting in a short circuit between the input and output terminals. This can cause the op-amp to behave erratically and potentially damage the circuit it is a part of.

2. What causes an op-amp resistor short?

An op-amp resistor short can be caused by a variety of factors, including incorrect circuit design, incorrect component values, or physical damage to the op-amp itself. It can also occur if the op-amp is being operated outside of its recommended voltage or temperature ranges.

3. How can I prevent an op-amp resistor short?

To prevent an op-amp resistor short, it is important to carefully design and test your circuit before implementing it. Make sure to use appropriate resistor values and to operate the op-amp within its recommended parameters. It is also helpful to use protective measures such as fuses or current-limiting resistors in your circuit.

4. What are the consequences of an op-amp resistor short?

If an op-amp resistor short occurs, it can result in incorrect or unstable output signals, potentially damaging other components in the circuit. It can also cause the op-amp to overheat and fail. In some cases, an op-amp resistor short may lead to a complete circuit failure.

5. How can I troubleshoot an op-amp resistor short?

To troubleshoot an op-amp resistor short, carefully inspect your circuit for any physical damage or incorrect connections. Check the values of your resistors and ensure they are within the recommended range for your op-amp. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance between the input and output terminals of the op-amp. If it is very low, you likely have a resistor short and will need to replace the op-amp or make necessary adjustments to your circuit.