What Happens to Rotational Velocity When AC Part is Dropped?

Anisur Rahman
User has been reminded to post schoolwork type questions in the Homework Help forums and show their work
TL;DR Summary
Need help in this question.
In figure AO = OB = 4m. C is the midpoint of AO. The rod rotates with a velocity of 5 rad/s about the axis PQ. What will be the rotational velocity of the remaining rod if AC part is suddenly dropped from the rod? Assume that the mass of this uniform rod is M.
Screenshot 2024-06-05 221032.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think it will happen?
You will have less mass rotating, but not in a concentric way.

Lnewqban said:
What do you think it will happen?
You will have less mass rotating, but not in a concentric way.
To calculate the angular momentum of the remaining rod, I think to substract the angular momentum of the dropped part from primary angular momentum. But I am confused about to calculate the angular momentum of the dropped part. How can I calculate that?

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Anisur Rahman said:
TL;DR Summary: Need help in this question.

In figure AO = OB = 4m. C is the midpoint of AO. The rod rotates with a velocity of 5 rad/s about the axis PQ. What will be the rotational velocity of the remaining rod if AC part is suddenly dropped from the rod? Assume that the mass of this uniform rod is M.
View attachment 346506
Please repost your question in the Homework Help forums and always show your Attempt at the Solution when starting new schoolwork threads. Thank you.