What happens to the temperature of gas in a moving container?

In summary, the temperature of the gas enclosed in a container at 300K will not change when the container is placed on a fast moving train, as the molecules inside the container are not traveling faster relative to each other. The velocity that determines the kinetic energy and temperature of the gas is always relative to the container, unless there is ordered motion inside the container due to external factors.
LameGeek

Homework Statement

Some gas at 300K is enclosed in a container. Now the container is placed on a fast moving train. While the train is in motion what happens to the temperature of the gas?

Homework Equations

KE(total) = (3/2)(N_A)nkT
KE(avg) = 3/2kT

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer: My intuition tells me that the temperature of the gas would not change.

But I'm a bit confused, since the temperature of the gas is dependent on the kinetic energy of the gas molecules (i.e. increase in their velocity would mean increase in temperature) so wouldn't the container traveling in higher speed increase the velocity of the gas molecules & hence increase the temperature?

Or actually the velocity of the gas molecules is measured relative to the container so whether the container moves or not, velocity of molecules remain the same therefore temperature doesn't change?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is right in this case. The molecules inside the box are not traveling faster relative to each other by virtue of being on a moving train inside a box, and that's what is meant by "faster" when talking about energy/temperature.

Thank you so much! Is it right to say that the velocity that determines the KE & temperature of the gas/system is always relative to the container?

LameGeek said:
Thank you so much! Is it right to say that the velocity that determines the KE & temperature of the gas/system is always relative to the container?
Not exactly.
The distinction usually made is between disordered motion (temperature as an intrinsic property, heat energy as an extrinsic one) and ordered motion (velocity, mechanical energy). What if the air is circulating inside the container as a powerful vortex? You could argue that the vortex motion is ordered, so does not contribute to temperature. In the end, I'm not sure there is no absolute distinction - others may correct me .
Another interesting question is what does it feel like to move through air at various speeds? If the air is colder than you then at modest speeds you get a wind chill effect, but at sufficiently high speeds you would burn up. The relative motion does increase the effective temperature of the air. But bear in mind that at everyday temperatures air molecules move at great speed, so it takes a very high relative motion to make it discernibly hotter.

LameGeek said:

In the exact scenario you posit, assuming the box is inside a car and absent any external infusion of heat, then yes. The molecules in the box will have no reason to move any faster relative to each other regardless of the speed of the train. This does not invalidate haruspex's comments, but they are not applicable to your specific scenario because there is no ordered motion inside the box.

Thank you Mr. phinds & Mr haruspex for clearing my doubts! =)

Related to What happens to the temperature of gas in a moving container?

1. What is temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. It is commonly associated with how hot or cold an object feels.

2. How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a substance that expands or contracts as it is heated or cooled. The most common temperature scales are Celsius, Fahrenheit, and Kelvin.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Heat is the transfer of energy from a hotter object to a colder object, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

4. How does temperature affect matter?

Temperature affects matter in various ways. As temperature increases, the particles in a substance gain more energy and move faster, causing the substance to expand. At extremely high temperatures, chemical reactions may occur, causing changes in the properties of the substance.

5. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the theoretical lowest possible temperature, where the particles in a substance have zero kinetic energy. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius. No substance can reach absolute zero, but scientists have been able to cool certain substances to fractions of a degree above absolute zero.