What Happens to Time Dilation at a Black Hole's Event Horizon?

In summary, the equation for gravitational time dilation involves the relation between time dilation and velocity, with the restriction that v must be less than c. At the event horizon of a black hole, where r=2GM/c^2, the square root becomes zero, indicating that a stationary observer cannot exist at this point. Similarly, a stationary observer cannot exist inside the event horizon, with r < 2GM/c^2.
JohnGano
I'm looking at this equation for gravitational time dilation:

[tex]
T = \frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1 - (2GM / rc^2)}}
[/tex]

I understand the relation of time dilation and velocity, and how v must be less than c, but I don't understand what exactly is implied here. At a certain point, M could be great enough such that the square root becomes negative or 0, or r could become small enough that the same thing happens. So what exactly does that mean? Is it possible that M or r could be a size such that you get an imaginary or undefined answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnGano said:

[tex]
[/tex]

I understand the relation of time dilation and velocity, and how v must be less than c, but I don't understand what exactly is implied here. At a certain point, M could be great enough such that the square root becomes negative or 0, or r could become small enough that the same thing happens. So what exactly does that mean? Is it possible that M or r could be a size such that you get an imaginary or undefined answer?
Sure. If M were infinite or r were zero, your answer could be 0. But how useful a solution is that in describing anything in the universe?

But no, it could never be negative.

JohnGano said:

[tex]
[/tex]

The square root becomes zero just at the event horizon of a black hole, where r=2GM/c^2. This is an indication of the fact that one cannot have a stationary observer exactly at the event horizon (one could have a stationary light beam, but a light beam isn't an observer).

One also cannot have a stationary observer inside the event horizon, i.e r < 2GM/c^2.

r here is the schwarzschild r cooridnate, btw.

Related to What Happens to Time Dilation at a Black Hole's Event Horizon?

1. What is gravitational time dilation?

Gravitational time dilation is a phenomenon in which time moves slower in a region where the gravitational force is stronger. This is due to the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects.

2. How does gravitational time dilation affect time?

Gravitational time dilation causes time to slow down in regions with stronger gravitational forces. This means that time moves slower for objects closer to massive objects, such as planets or stars.

3. What is the equation for gravitational time dilation?

The equation for gravitational time dilation is t0 = tf√(1-2GM/rc2), where t0 is the time in a weaker gravitational field, tf is the time in a stronger gravitational field, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object causing the gravitational field, r is the distance from the object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How is gravitational time dilation measured?

Gravitational time dilation can be measured using highly accurate clocks. By comparing the time measured by a clock in a region with a stronger gravitational field to a clock in a weaker gravitational field, scientists can determine the amount of time dilation present.

5. What are some real-world examples of gravitational time dilation?

Some real-world examples of gravitational time dilation include the time dilation experienced by astronauts in space, as their spacecraft is in a weaker gravitational field than Earth, and the time dilation experienced by objects orbiting a black hole, as the gravitational force near a black hole is extremely strong.