What Happens to Wavelength and Wave Speed if Oscillator Period Doubles?

In summary, when the period of an oscillator doubles, the wavelength of the traveling wave doubles while the wave speed remains unchanged. This can be determined using the equation speed = wavelength/period and understanding that the wavelength represents how far the wave advances during its own period. The wave speed can vary in certain circumstances, but typically it is not affected by changes in wavelength.
sphouxay
Traveling Waves

Homework Statement

If the period of the oscillator doubles, what happens to the wavelength and wave speed?
The wavelength is halved but the wave speed is unchanged.
The wavelength is unchanged but the wave speed doubles.
The wavelength doubles but the wave speed is unchanged.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the wavelength is cut in half but the wave speed is unchanged. Any flaws here guys let me know what anyone thinks. If I was to draw a graph of this the wavelength is the highest point from one to another, or the lowest point from one to another if the period doubles in a frame the wavelength would become narrower indicating it is cut in half. Right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Write down some mathematical expressions! What is the relationship between wavelength, period, and wave speed? That will determine the answer to your problem.

Doh, i just needed some basic math for that one thanks for the help, what's the equation for the amplitude using wavelength and wave speed, any ideas?

The length of a wave is measured out in space, as it advances. It is therefore measured in units of distance.

You are correct to assume that typically, wave speed isn't much dependant on wave length. Such variation can occur, for instance it does explain things like the formation of rainbows, but usually it's on a fairly small scale, not doubling or halving.

The wavelength represents how far the wave advances during its own period. If the period gets longer the wave has more time to advance.

Are you still sure of that answer?

Yeah, thanks guys the wavelength would double but the speed remains unchanged. That was a duh moment for me. It was just a matter of finding the right equation (speed= wavelength/period) and plugging numbers and formulating. Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I've got more to come some please I am not a physics guru.

FAQ: What Happens to Wavelength and Wave Speed if Oscillator Period Doubles?

1. What does "Help me out guys" mean?

"Help me out guys" is a commonly used phrase that means the person is asking for assistance or help from a group of people, typically men.

2. Why do people use the phrase "Help me out guys" instead of just "Help me out"?

The addition of "guys" in the phrase is a way to specifically address a group of people, typically men, for help. It is a more casual and friendly way of asking for help.

3. Is "Help me out guys" only used among men or can it be used with anyone?

The phrase can be used with anyone, regardless of gender. It is simply a way to address a group of people for help and does not have any specific gender connotations.

4. Can "Help me out guys" also be used in a professional setting?

Yes, the phrase can be used in a professional setting as a way to ask for help or assistance from colleagues or coworkers. However, it is always important to use appropriate language and tone in a professional setting.

5. Is there a better way to ask for help instead of using "Help me out guys"?

It depends on the situation and the relationship between the person asking for help and the group being addressed. "Can you all lend me a hand?" or "I could use some assistance, please" are some alternatives that may be more appropriate in certain situations.