What happens when a piece of iron is put into an inductor?

In summary, inserting a small piece of iron into a solenoid coil will decrease the magnetic field inside the inductor due to its diamagnetic nature. This will cause a change in flux, which according to Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law, will induce an EMF to create a field opposing this change in flux. Therefore, the current will initially increase, then decrease back to its original value. The orientation and permanence of the iron's magnetization will also affect the change in flux.
holacola

Homework Statement

You have a circuit with current I running through a solenoid. You insert a small piece of iron into the coil; what happens?

Homework Equations

d(Magnetic Flux)/dt = -EMF

The Attempt at a Solution

Iron is diamagnetic, so inserting it will decrease the magnetic field inside the inductor. Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law tell us that a changing flux induces an EMF to create a field opposing this change in flux. Therefore, my thought is that the current increases, then decreases back to its original value. Does that seem right?

Physics news on Phys.org
holacola said:

Homework Statement

You have a circuit with current I running through a solenoid. You insert a small piece of iron into the coil; what happens?

Homework Equations

d(Magnetic Flux)/dt = -EMF

The Attempt at a Solution

Iron is diamagnetic, so inserting it will decrease the magnetic field inside the inductor. Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law tell us that a changing flux induces an EMF to create a field opposing this change in flux. Therefore, my thought is that the current increases, then decreases back to its original value. Does that seem right?

Is iron diamagnetic?

ehild

I agree with ehild!
The answer to your question is no. What does Faraday say? Is flux affected if anything is added into the coil?
(Constant applied emf assumed).

So the answer should be nothing, since normal iron is non-magnetic?

This problem needs to be better defined. Is the current sinusoidal? DC? If sinusoidal, is it constant-voltage or constant-current drive? Part of a circuit with series resistance?

Iron is very magnetic. Ferro-magnetic. "Ferro" stands for "iron".

holacola said:
So the answer should be nothing, since normal iron is non-magnetic?

Where did you get the idea that iron is diamagnetic? You probably don't understand the difference between magnetic, ferromagnetic, diamagnetic, and paramagnetic.

The current is constant DC.

Ferromagnets are permanent magnets. This is named after iron, commonly a permanent magnet.

Diamagnetic materials, when placed inside a magnetic field, create an opposing field.

Paramagnetic materials create a parallel field.

Isn't this correct? I don't understand how we can answer the question, as written, however. If the iron were magnetized, we would need to know its orientation, in order to calculate the changing flux...

You are right that my understanding of this is lacking.

holacola said:
The current is constant DC.

Ferromagnets are permanent magnets. This is named after iron, commonly a permanent magnet.

Iron is not 'commonly' a permanent magnet, although basic iron can be permanently magnetized to some extent.

OK, so the current is constant DC. So obviously there is no change in current.

What about the flux thru the coil? Is it increased or decreased or stays constant when you shove the iron into the coil? Defend your answer (use Ampere's law).

Then use Faraday's law to determine if the voltage across the inductor changes.

If the iron is not permanently magnetized, it won't change the flux, and the current won't change. If it is permanently magnetized, the change in flux depends on its orientation. The current can do whatever as the flux changes, then return to its original value.

holacola said:
If the iron is not permanently magnetized, it won't change the flux, and the current won't change. If it is permanently magnetized, the change in flux depends on its orientation. The current can do whatever as the flux changes, then return to its original value.

Afraid that's wrong.

First, permanent magnetization has nothing to do here. The iron is characterized by having high permeability, not magnetic retention.

Second, the flux changes greatly wih the entry of the ciron core into the inductor coil.

You just said the current is dc which means it's constant. If it isn't constant then you must describe the entire circuit.

You need to do a lot of revision of basic electricity and magnetism.

Ahhhh. Ok. I think I understand. H is essentially B - M. We can use Ampere's Law to get H, and then add on M to get B, which will be much larger than it was before. From there, the result follows directly that the current decreases as the core is inserted, then returns to its original value.

Related to What happens when a piece of iron is put into an inductor?

What is an inductor?

An inductor is an electrical component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that can conduct electricity. When an electric current flows through the coil, a magnetic field is created.

What happens when a piece of iron is placed into an inductor?

When a piece of iron is placed into an inductor, it becomes magnetized due to the magnetic field created by the inductor's coil. This magnetization of the iron causes it to become attracted to the inductor and move towards it.

Why does the iron move towards the inductor?

The iron moves towards the inductor because it is attracted to the magnetic field created by the inductor's coil. This is due to the magnetic properties of iron, which make it highly susceptible to magnetization in the presence of a magnetic field.

Does the movement of the iron affect the inductor's magnetic field?

Yes, the movement of the iron does affect the inductor's magnetic field. As the iron moves towards the inductor, it becomes part of the magnetic circuit and strengthens the magnetic field. Conversely, when the iron is removed, the magnetic field weakens.

What are the practical applications of placing iron into an inductor?

Placing iron into an inductor can be used in various applications such as electromagnets, motors, generators, and transformers. The movement of the iron can also be used to create motion in devices such as speakers and relays. Additionally, the magnetic properties of the iron can be utilized in sensors and magnetic storage devices.