What happens when a switch is closed in a circuit with two coils?

In summary, when the switch is closed, the meter reading will deflect to the left and a current flow will be present. The magnetic fields produced in the two coils will be in opposite directions, with the left coil producing a north pole and the right coil producing a south pole. Applying Lenz's law, a similar north pole will be produced in the right coil to counter the effect of the left coil's north pole.
mogley76

Homework Statement

when the switch is closed , describe what will happen to the meter reading, the direction of the current flow, if any, and the magnetic fields produced in the two coils

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

the current flow is shown in the pic attached , the meter reading will deflect to the left?

please have a look at the pic attached and see if I've done it all right??

Attachments

• 2011-05-20 23.33.57.jpg
    2011-05-20 23.33.57.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you apply Lenz's law to that scenario, if N is produced in the circuit on the left, then in order to produce the opposite effect due to the production of a N pole, a similar N pole would need to be produced on the second circuit on the left.

(I may be wrong since I am not too well versed in these conceptual problems)

FAQ: What happens when a switch is closed in a circuit with two coils?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is characterized by the direction and strength of the force it exerts on other magnetic objects.

2. How are magnetic fields created in coils?

Magnetic fields in coils are created by passing an electric current through a wire that is wound into a spiral shape. This creates a magnetic field around the coil, with the strength and direction of the field determined by the direction and strength of the current.

3. What is the purpose of using coils in magnetic fields?

Coils are used in magnetic fields to increase the strength of the magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field created by a single wire is weak, but when the wire is coiled, the magnetic fields of each loop combine, resulting in a stronger overall field.

4. How does the strength of a magnetic field in a coil change with the number of loops?

The strength of a magnetic field in a coil is directly proportional to the number of loops in the coil. This means that as the number of loops increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

5. Can magnetic fields in coils be turned on and off?

Yes, magnetic fields in coils can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity through the coil. When the current is turned off, the magnetic field dissipates, and when the current is turned on again, the magnetic field is re-established.

Back