What heading should a pilot take to fly from city A to B [Answer check]

• Thread starter lamerali
  • Start date
In summary, when flying from city A to city B, the pilot should fly in a direction of 73 degrees and it will take 1.1 hours to get there.
lamerali
A pilot wishes to fly form city A to city B, a distance of 720 km on a bearing of 70 degrees. The speed of the plane is 700 km/h. An 60 km/h wind is blowing on a bearing of 110 degrees. What heading should the pilot take to reach his or her destination? How long will the trip take?

I have answered the question but i am not sure if it correct. if anyone can just check it for me I would be very grateful.

my answer is below...

Let Vd represent the direction and distance between the two cities
Let Vw represent the velocity of the wind
Let VP represent the velocity of the plane.

Find the x and y coordinates of Vd
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 90 - 70 = 20 degrees
Vd = [720cos20, 720sin20] = [676.6, 246.3]

Now find the x and y coordinates of Vw
[tex]\theta[/tex] = 110 - 90 = 20 degrees
Vd = [60cos20o, - 60sin20o] = [56.4, -20.5]

Now find Vp

|Vp| = [tex]\sqrt{733^2 + 255.8^2}[/tex]
= 767 km

directional angel;
[tex]\theta[/tex] = tan^-1 [tex]\frac{255.8}{733}[/tex]
= 17 degrees

90 - 17 = 73 degrees

speed = distance / time
time = distance / speed
time = 767 km / 700 km per hour
= 1.1 hours

Therefore, the pilot should fly at a heading of 73 degrees and it will take 1.1 hours to get from city A to city B.

Any help is appreciated
THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get 67 degrees of bearing and 744 km.

As a pilot myself (little planes, no way I'd make it to 700km/h!) I do these sort of calculations in my sleep!
You're both right, depending how you define the wind. The standard definition is the bearing the wind blows FROM. If you use this you get lamerali's answers. Use the incorrect approach (which some people seem to find easier, but just confuses me!) of being the direction to wind is blowing TO, and you get cellotim's answers.
I've attached a spreadsheet which I use for flightplanning, with the figures for both of these cases in. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• PLOG example.xls
    19.5 KB · Views: 257
Great! thanks guys! :D

Related to What heading should a pilot take to fly from city A to B [Answer check]

1. What is the heading a pilot should take to fly from city A to B?

The heading a pilot should take to fly from city A to B is known as the magnetic heading, which is the direction determined by a magnetic compass. This may differ slightly from the true heading due to magnetic variations.

2. How is the heading calculated for a flight from city A to B?

The heading for a flight from city A to B is typically calculated using a navigation instrument called a heading indicator. This instrument takes into account the aircraft's current position, desired destination, and other factors such as wind direction and speed to determine the appropriate heading for the flight.

3. Does the heading change during the flight from city A to B?

Yes, the heading may change during the flight from city A to B due to changing wind conditions or the pilot making adjustments to the aircraft's direction. The heading is constantly monitored and adjusted as needed to ensure the aircraft stays on course.

4. Are there any specific factors that determine the heading for a flight from city A to B?

Yes, there are several factors that determine the heading for a flight from city A to B, including the aircraft's speed, altitude, wind conditions, and geographic features such as mountains or bodies of water. The pilot must also take into account any air traffic control instructions or restrictions in the area.

5. How important is it for a pilot to accurately determine and maintain the correct heading when flying from city A to B?

Maintaining the correct heading is crucial for a safe and efficient flight from city A to B. A small error in heading can result in the aircraft deviating from its planned route and potentially causing a collision with other aircraft or obstacles. It is the pilot's responsibility to accurately determine and maintain the correct heading at all times during the flight.