What Height Should a Lamp Be Above a Round Table for Maximum Edge Lighting?

• MHB
  • Thread starter leprofece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses the optimal height for an electric lamp above a round table with a given radius in order to achieve maximum edge lighting. The formula I = k sen f/ d^2 is used, where f is the angle of inclination of rays, d is the distance from the light source to the illuminated surface, and k is the intensity of the light source. By using Pythagoras' theorem, the equation can be rearranged to express the intensity as a function of the height h and the constant radius r. By differentiating and equating to zero, the optimal height is found to be r/(sqrt 2).
leprofece
At what height above the center of a round table of RADIUS r should be an electric lamp to make the edge lighting Maximun?. (Note: llumlnation is expressed for the forrmula I = k sen f/ d 2 where f is the angle of inclination of rays, d is the distance from the light source to the illuminated surface and K as the intensity of the light source

Answer r/(sqrt 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
You really should be able to at least show an attempt. I would begin by observing:

\(\displaystyle \sin(f)=\frac{h}{d}\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle I=k\frac{h}{d^3}\)

Now, by Pythagoras, we know:

\(\displaystyle r^2+h^2=d^2\)

So, can you now state $I$ as a function of the variable $h$ and the constant $r$? Then, differentiate with respect to $h$ and equate the result to zero, then solve for $h$, and the result you cite will follow.

FAQ: What Height Should a Lamp Be Above a Round Table for Maximum Edge Lighting?

What is the light problem?

The light problem refers to the issue of how light behaves and interacts with matter, specifically how it is emitted, absorbed, and scattered.

Why is the study of light important?

The study of light is important because it is crucial to our understanding of the universe, as well as many practical applications such as technology, medicine, and energy production.

What are the different properties of light?

Light has several properties, including wavelength, frequency, amplitude, and polarization, which determine its characteristics and behavior.

How does light travel?

Light travels in a straight line at a constant speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also travel through certain materials, such as air, water, and glass, but its speed and direction may be affected.

What are the applications of light in everyday life?

Light has many everyday applications, such as providing us with vision, powering electronic devices, and allowing us to communicate through fiber optics. It also plays a crucial role in photosynthesis, which is essential for the growth of plants and the production of oxygen.

Back