What Hobby Should KingNothing Try?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
In summary, if you're looking for a hobby that will occupy your free time, building things out of cardboard boxes might be a good option.
KingNothing
Hey guys, long time no chat...I have been too busy with EE.

I came to realize that the small amount of free time I have should not be spent in front of the computer. I am searching for a hobby with the following properties:

-It must be constructing something
-The materials used to construct must not be intended for what I'm using them for, that is I would like to be using materials in unique ways
-the materials must be fairly cheap (glues, sticks, etc) and available
-must not be purely artwork, (more functional)

Something I thought about was building things (furniture, etc) out of cardboard boxes. Any input? Links?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go with the usual circlejerk activities for EEs: ham radio, building ham radio, using ham radio, talking about ham radio, buying ham radios, selling ham radios, trading ham radios, building your own rigs from vacuum tubes, antenna design, seeing data in static, trying to apply some random mathematical formula to some random ham radio phenomena.. I've got more if you interested.

Guns.

go scout out flea markets and thrift stores until you find inspiration. that's a hobby in itself for some people.

KingNothing said:
Something I thought about was building things (furniture, etc) out of cardboard boxes.
What is it with EE's wanting to build things? Can't you put that time to better use by coding microcontrollers?

Ugh, if you insist: Paper Furniture.

Other DIY crafty things:
Arduino LilyPad
Duct Tape Crafts
Make magazine

KingNothing said:

I came to realize that the small amount of free time I have should not be spent in front of the computer. I am searching for a hobby with the following properties:

-The materials used to construct must not be intended for what I'm using them for, that is I would like to be using materials in unique ways

Something I thought about was building things (furniture, etc) out of cardboard boxes. Any input? Links?

Grand Piano
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=377799

KingNothing said:

Go to a gym, or to a fight club.

- you'll be constructing yourself
- you'll use your body in unique ways
- it's fairly cheap to have membership to a gym, and anyway it;s a investment in yourself

Related to What Hobby Should KingNothing Try?

1. What are some factors to consider when helping someone find a hobby?

When helping someone find a hobby, it is important to consider their interests, skills, and personality. You should also take into account their available time and budget, as well as any physical limitations they may have.

2. How can I help someone who is struggling to find a hobby?

If someone is struggling to find a hobby, it may be helpful to suggest trying out different activities or hobbies to see what they enjoy. You can also encourage them to explore their passions and interests, and to not be afraid to try new things.

3. Is it possible to turn a hobby into a career?

Yes, it is possible to turn a hobby into a career. Many successful entrepreneurs and business owners have started out by pursuing their hobbies and turning them into profitable ventures. However, it is important to have a solid business plan and to be realistic about the potential success of the hobby as a career.

4. What are some benefits of having a hobby?

Hobbies can have numerous benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety, improving mental health, providing a sense of accomplishment, and fostering creativity and self-expression. They can also help people connect with others who share their interests and provide a sense of community.

5. How can I support someone in their new hobby?

The best way to support someone in their new hobby is to show genuine interest and enthusiasm. You can also offer to participate in the hobby with them or help them find resources and materials. Additionally, providing encouragement and positive feedback can go a long way in helping someone stick with their new hobby.