What if I force a spinning wheel not to precede?

In summary, a spinning wheel is a mechanical device used for spinning fibers into yarn or thread. It works by using a drive wheel and a flyer, which twists the fibers together to create yarn. Preventing the spinning wheel from spinning can result in tangled or damaged fibers, and manually spinning the flyer may be difficult and time-consuming. It is best to use the spinning wheel as intended to avoid potential damage and produce quality yarn.
greypilgrim
Hi,

If we apply a torque to a spinning wheel such that the torque vector lies in the plane of the wheel, it will precede around the axis perpendicular to the angular momentum and the torque.

What happens if the wheel is mounted such that rotation around this axis is absolutely impossible and is forced to rotate in the direction of the applied torque?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The mount will apply a torque too. The total applied torque is what matters.

Related to What if I force a spinning wheel not to precede?

1. What is a spinning wheel and how does it work?

A spinning wheel is a mechanical device used for spinning fibers into yarn or thread. It works by using a drive wheel and a flyer, which is a rotating part that twists the fibers together to create yarn.

2. What happens if I prevent a spinning wheel from spinning?

If you force a spinning wheel not to spin, the flyer will not be able to twist the fibers into yarn. This could cause the fibers to become tangled or even break, resulting in unusable yarn.

3. Can I manually spin the flyer if the spinning wheel is not moving?

Yes, you can manually spin the flyer in order to create yarn without the spinning wheel. However, this may be more difficult and time-consuming than using the spinning wheel as intended.

4. Is there a risk of damaging the spinning wheel if I prevent it from spinning?

It is possible that forcing the spinning wheel not to spin could cause damage to the mechanical components, such as the drive wheel or flyer. It is best to use the spinning wheel as intended to avoid potential damage.

5. What are the potential consequences of not allowing a spinning wheel to spin?

If the spinning wheel is not allowed to spin, the fibers will not be properly twisted together and the resulting yarn may be weak or unusable. Additionally, manually spinning the flyer could be time-consuming and may not produce the same quality of yarn as using the spinning wheel as intended.