What if I'm the Schrodinger's Cat?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of consciousness and its role in the collapse of the wavefunction in quantum mechanics. The question is raised about whether an observer outside the box causing the collapse would also cause the collapse inside the box, and if a cat or other living organism could also be considered an observer. The concept of superposition and the interpretations of the measurement problem, including the many-worlds interpretation, are also discussed. The conversation concludes with the idea that we cannot fully understand how quantum mechanics works without understanding the nature of consciousness.
fbs7
Sorry for the dumb question... that's similar to another one just posted, but that other question was about many worlds. Without resorting to many worlds...

... if I'm an observer outside the box and I cause the collapse of the wavefunction by measuring something, shouldn't the cat do the same inside the box? I mean, a cat is pretty big, so shouldn't it be an observer too?

If there is a dead+alive cat in the box before the box is opened, shouldn't I be just as dead+alive if I were the cat in the box?

So if I was inside the box in a superposition of states, would I be able to detect that? What if I put a rat inside the box, instead of a cat? or a virus? or protein? or a single atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
fbs7 said:
... if I'm an observer outside the box and I cause the collapse of the wavefunction by measuring something, shouldn't the cat do the same inside the box? I mean, a cat is pretty big, so shouldn't it be an observer too?
That is precisely the issue at the heart of the "Wigner's Friend" paradox, that led Wigner to believe that consciousness is crucial for collapse. It is said that he later changed his mind on this, but I think it is safe to say that we can't do physics without consciousness, so it is impossible to rule out its potential importance.
So if I was inside the box in a superposition of states, would I be able to detect that?
That's where MWI comes in-- it would hold that you would not detect the superposition because there would be one of you in each of the branches. But if you don't accept MWI, you have to find some other way out of the conundrum, which each of the other interpretations do. The situation you are asking about is a very good device for distinguishing the various interpretations.
What if I put a rat inside the box, instead of a cat? or a virus? or protein? or a single atom?
This also gets to the heart of the interpretations. For my own part, I like to say that if an electron could think, it wouldn't do quantum mechanics. By that I just mean, we really have no idea what "life would be like" for an electron, so we cannot answer your question, we really only understand how we think (and not even that, very well!).

Ken G said:
That is precisely the issue at the heart of the "Wigner's Friend" paradox, that led Wigner to believe that consciousness is crucial for collapse. It is said that he later changed his mind on this, but I think it is safe to say that we can't do physics without consciousness, so it is impossible to rule out its potential importance.

That's essentially the view Stephen M. Barr takes, when mentioning consciousness and the measurement problem. Wigner did support that view, however was convinced decoherence played a more important role in the process. Barr essentially says that the decoherence argument doesn't affect his stance that perhaps consciousness has a role to play in a measurement.

fbs7 said:
Sorry for the dumb question... that's similar to another one just posted, but that other question was about many worlds. Without resorting to many worlds...

If there is a dead+alive cat in the box before the box is opened, shouldn't I be just as dead+alive if I were the cat in the box?

So if I was inside the box in a superposition of states, would I be able to detect that? What if I put a rat inside the box, instead of a cat? or a virus? or protein? or a single atom?
If you're the cat in the box, then you're at the mercy of random quantum radiations. But you'll be either alive or dead. Not alive and dead, which is just a contradiction in terms, and not a necessary translation of the QM formalism into ordinary language.

I think I got it a little bit better now. These are very good explanations - thanks all for them!

Related to What if I'm the Schrodinger's Cat?

1. What is Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics proposed by physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. It illustrates the paradox of a cat being both alive and dead at the same time.

2. How does Schrodinger's Cat relate to quantum mechanics?

Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiment used to explain the principles of quantum mechanics, specifically the concept of superposition and the role of observation in collapsing the wave function.

3. Is Schrodinger's Cat alive or dead?

According to the thought experiment, Schrodinger's Cat is both alive and dead until an observer opens the box and makes a measurement. This is known as the principle of superposition.

4. What is the significance of Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment?

The significance of Schrodinger's Cat is that it challenges our understanding of reality and the role of observation in quantum mechanics. It also raises questions about the nature of consciousness and the observer's influence on the physical world.

5. How is Schrodinger's Cat relevant to everyday life?

While Schrodinger's Cat is a thought experiment in quantum mechanics, its implications can be seen in everyday life. It highlights the uncertainty and unpredictability of the quantum world, and how our observations and interactions with it can affect the outcome.