What if my internship isn't really that helpful?

• Thread starter user101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's internship at Lockheed Martin and their concerns about being assigned work in a different field than their desired computer engineering focus. They also mention that a Master's or PhD is typically required for hardware design in the field. The speaker's friends in similar internships at other companies had less than desirable experiences due to their lack of experience. They suggest asking about the type of projects past computer engineering interns have worked on during the interview.
user101
I have an internship with Lockheed Martin. The actual division of LM is interesting and something I'd like to do for the summer. However, when you apply for a job there, they interview you for a general intern position, in engineering. They know that I'm a computer engineering student... will they give me some type of work related to it?

I don't want them to give me some work in manufacturing engineering or anything, but rather something related to EE. Let's say they give me a "Systems engineering" type job... what affect will that have on me for a full-time job search, when I'm done? I've had one job already as a manufacturing process analyst intern at a company and that's what landed me an internship with LM. In my objective, I have it so it says that I'm interested in an EE/CompE internship.

Physics news on Phys.org
Its hard to say...The hard thing about Comp Eng if you don't have a Masters or PHD they won't let you touch hardware design from what I hear.

My professor who works with intel said a Masters is required to even start designing, a PhD is preferred in Comp Eng if you want to design hardware.

if you have a 4 year degree in Comp Eng you'll most likely be writing test benches in VHDL/verilog to test the designs.

My one friend at cisco and my other friend at verizon are comp eng and they had very sucky internships. They didn't have enough experience to do anything. So the one at cisco just ended up moving around big servers and doing trouble shooting.

The one at verizon did the same, the same type of job IST majors get lol.

So it all depends on the company. Let's hope it is a useful internship. Make sure at the interview you want to know what you'll be working on or what type of projects past comp eng students have worked on so you get a feel for what your getting yourself into.

I understand your concern about your internship not being helpful in terms of your career goals. It is important to make the most of any opportunity, especially when it comes to gaining experience in your field of interest.

Firstly, I would suggest speaking with your supervisor or mentor at Lockheed Martin about your specific interests and goals. They may be able to assign you to projects or tasks that align more closely with your desired field of computer engineering. It is also possible that they may not have any projects available in that specific area, but it is worth having a conversation to see if there are any options for you.

If you do end up working in a different area such as systems engineering, it is important to remember that any experience, even if it is not directly related to your field, is valuable. It can help you develop transferable skills and broaden your knowledge base, which can be beneficial in a job search. Additionally, having experience in multiple areas can make you a more well-rounded candidate and show your versatility and adaptability.

In terms of your full-time job search after your internship, I would recommend highlighting the skills and experience you gained during your time at Lockheed Martin, regardless of the specific job title or division. Employers are often looking for candidates who have a diverse range of experiences and can bring a unique perspective to their team.

Overall, it is important to make the most of any internship opportunity and to remain open-minded about the tasks and projects you may be assigned. Who knows, you may discover a new interest or skill that you didn't know you had. Keep in mind that internships are meant to be learning experiences and not every task may be directly related to your desired field, but they can still contribute to your overall growth and development as a professional.

Related to What if my internship isn't really that helpful?

1. What does it mean if my internship isn't helpful?

If your internship isn't helpful, it means that you are not gaining valuable skills or knowledge that will benefit your future career. It could also mean that the tasks you are assigned are not meaningful or relevant to your field of study.

2. What should I do if my internship isn't helpful?

If you feel that your internship is not providing you with the necessary experience and learning opportunities, it is important to communicate your concerns with your supervisor or mentor. They may be able to assign you to different tasks or provide you with additional resources to make your internship more beneficial.

3. How can I make the most out of an unhelpful internship?

Even if your internship is not as helpful as you had hoped, there are still ways to make the most out of the experience. You can take initiative and ask for more responsibilities or projects that align with your interests and goals. You can also network with professionals in your field and use the internship as a learning opportunity to observe different work styles and environments.

4. Will having an unhelpful internship affect my future career?

Having an unhelpful internship may not have a significant impact on your future career as long as you are able to gain other relevant experiences and skills. However, it is important to reflect on the reasons why the internship was not helpful and use that information to make more informed decisions about future opportunities.

5. How can I avoid ending up in an unhelpful internship?

To avoid ending up in an unhelpful internship, it is important to do your research before accepting an offer. Look into the company or organization, read reviews from past interns, and ask questions during the interview process to ensure that the internship aligns with your goals and interests. It is also helpful to have clear expectations and communicate them with your supervisor before starting the internship.