What if the Gravitational Constant were larger?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speculation around the constant of gravity in different universes and how it would impact the development of life and stellar evolution. While there is limited literature on the subject, it is generally considered highly speculative and not a significant focus of scientific research. The conversation also acknowledges the limitations of human understanding and the importance of focusing on our own universe.
Columbus
In our dimensions, it is ~6.67384 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2. I recall having read a Hawking article a long time ago in which the ideas of greater or smaller variations of this constant were toyed with, and what they would mean for their respective universes (with other constants unchanged from the current ones, I'm assuming). However I've scoured the internet and haven't found much talk on how such a universe would have developed compared to our own. Would, say, a constant of 6.2 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 alter physics in such a universe significantly from our own? How about something like 3.5 × 10-11 m3 kg-1 s-2 or 6.67384 × 10-30 m3 kg-1 s-2? Would conditions for life as we know it still work out, or how would stellar evolution differ from how its current model (or at all)? I'm not necessarily asking you answers to these questions, just if anyone at least knows any literature dealing with the subject. Alternatively, is such a postulation impossible and/or meaningless itfp?

P.S. If this isn't the right place to post this, show me the right board.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
This is highly speculative.

Basically: nobody knows.

Note:
- gravity is, these days, understood in terms of general relativity.
The gravitational constant comes from Newtonian gravity.

- the more usual exercise is to ask how well we know what various physical constants are or how close various relations are (i.e. how close to inverse square is gravity?) and how far out they'd have to be for us to notice.

- science is pretty much concerned with this Universe, since this is the one we live in. Speculating about how fine-tuned the various constants have to be to support life is pretty irrelevant.

Related to What if the Gravitational Constant were larger?

1. What is the Gravitational Constant?

The Gravitational Constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental physical constant that appears in the law of universal gravitation, which describes the attraction between two objects due to their mass.

2. How does the Gravitational Constant affect the force of gravity?

The Gravitational Constant determines the strength of the gravitational force between two objects. A larger G means a stronger force of attraction, while a smaller G means a weaker force of attraction.

3. What would happen if the Gravitational Constant were larger?

If the Gravitational Constant were larger, the force of gravity between objects would be stronger. This would result in objects being pulled towards each other with a greater force, making it easier for them to collide or orbit around each other.

4. How would a larger Gravitational Constant affect the orbits of planets?

A larger Gravitational Constant would cause planets to have shorter orbital periods and tighter orbits around the sun. This means that they would complete their orbits more quickly and be closer to the sun, resulting in higher temperatures on the planet's surface.

5. Could life exist if the Gravitational Constant were larger?

It is possible that life could exist if the Gravitational Constant were larger, but it would likely be very different from life on Earth. The stronger force of gravity would have significant impacts on the development and survival of living organisms, such as larger and stronger bodies being necessary to withstand the increased gravitational pull.