What if the universe's expansion is actually slowing down?

• B
  • Thread starter Robert Hoffmann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial might be a good place to start if you want to learn more about cosmology.
Robert Hoffmann
Hello guys,

every "scientist" I have talked to say the universe is "expanding" at an ever increasing rate.

then I tell them the following: "hey man, you say the farther away the galaxies you see, the quicker away from us they are moving, right ? (redshift, etc)"

they say: "yeah"

then I say: "but you're looking into the past, and the farther they (objects) are, the older the information we get (light) is...
so the way I see it, LONG TIME AGO they were moving faster, but not now... I think it's actually slowing down"

and then they just stare...

that simple issue will get rid of: dark energy, dark matter, senseless lunacy.

try it !

Space news on Phys.org
Robert Hoffmann said:
Hello guys,

every "scientist" I have talked to say the universe is "expanding" at an ever increasing rate.

then I tell them the following: "hey man, you say the farther away the galaxies you see, the quicker away from us they are moving, right ? (redshift, etc)"

they say: "yeah"

then I say: "but you're looking into the past, and the farther they (objects) are, the older the information we get (light) is...
so the way I see it, LONG TIME AGO they were moving faster, but not now... I think it's actually slowing down"

and then they just stare...

that simple issue will get rid of: dark energy, dark matter,
senseless lunacy.

try it !
Yes, I think senseless lunacy is a good description of your post. You should study some basic cosmology. Also, you idea has been shot down on this forum approximately 879 times so far. Try a forum search. A good place to start is the links at the bottom of this page.

Oh my gosh! None of us have ever thought of that before! Seriously, do you really think that professional cosmologists who have spent their careers working on this haven't thought of this obvious issue? Of course this is taken into account when interpreting measured data and modeling the expansion of the universe. If you are really interested in learning more about cosmology, I suggest getting an introductory book or doing some online study. Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial might be a good place to start.

The measurements of acceleration stem from the precise measurements of the redshifts and distances of large numbers of objects and large-scale structures in our universe, fully taking into account complicated things like light travel time. Yes, objects are moving away from one another at an accelerated rate today.

They stare at you not because they are stumped by your question, but flabbergasted by your rejection of an idea that you don't understand.

They also aren't guessing, everyone (and I mean everyone) thought the universe was slowing down. In the 90s, two different teams set out to find out how much it was slowing down. Both came to the same conclusion that it was accelerating, and both came up with the same rate. You can argue ideas until you are blue in the face, but unless you can find an error in their math or a mechanism they didn't think of, you can't argue the science. You could take their data and redo the calculations if you want.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain closed. The new OP has been reminded of the PF rules against personal speculation, and the need to post links to mainstream souces when asking questions here. He's also been reminded that the "A" prefix is to be used when wanting replies at the PhD level. :smile:

FAQ: What if the universe's expansion is actually slowing down?

1. What evidence do we have to suggest that the universe's expansion is slowing down?

There are several lines of evidence that suggest the universe's expansion is slowing down. One of the main pieces of evidence is the observation of distant supernovae, which have shown that they are dimmer than expected. This indicates that the expansion of the universe is slowing down, as the light from these objects has taken longer to reach us than predicted. Additionally, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies in the universe also support the idea of a slowing expansion.

2. What would cause the universe's expansion to slow down?

There are a few potential causes for the slowing down of the universe's expansion. One possibility is the presence of dark energy, a mysterious force that is thought to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. Another potential cause could be the influence of gravity from matter and dark matter, which could be pulling on the expansion of the universe and slowing it down.

3. How does the idea of a slowing expansion affect our understanding of the universe?

The idea of a slowing expansion would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would suggest that the universe may not continue expanding infinitely, but could eventually reach a point of maximum expansion before collapsing in on itself in a "Big Crunch." This would also impact theories about the fate of the universe and the possibility of future expansion and evolution.

4. Are there any competing theories to explain the slowing expansion of the universe?

Yes, there are some competing theories that suggest alternative explanations for the observed slowing of the universe's expansion. One theory proposes that the dimming of distant supernovae could be caused by "grey dust" in the universe, rather than the effects of dark energy. Other theories suggest modifications to the laws of gravity as a potential explanation for the observed slowing expansion.

5. How can we continue to study and learn more about the potential slowing of the universe's expansion?

There are several ways that scientists are currently studying and learning more about the potential slowing of the universe's expansion. One approach is to continue observing distant objects, such as supernovae and galaxies, to gather more precise data on their movements and the effects of dark energy and gravity. Another approach is to conduct experiments, such as analyzing the properties of dark matter, to better understand its potential influence on the expansion of the universe.