What Information is Embedded in Hotel Key Cards?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cards
In summary, Southern California law enforcement professionals have discovered that hotel room keys, specifically those from the "Double Tree" chain, contain sensitive information such as the customer's name, partial home address, hotel room number, check-in and check-out dates, and credit card number with expiration date. This information can easily be accessed by hotel employees through a scanning device, even after the guest has checked out. It is recommended to either keep the card or destroy it instead of turning it in at the front desk. This information was shared by Sergeant K. Jorge and Detective Sergeant from the Pasadena Police Department.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I assume this is accurate. It was sent to me by email.

-----------------------------
Southern California law enforcement professionals assigned to detect new threats to personal security issues, recently discovered what type of information is embedded in the credit card type hotel room keys used through-out the industry.

Although room keys differ from hotel to hotel, a key obtained from the “Double Tree” chain that was being used for a regional Identity Theft Presentation was found to contain the following the information:

• Customers (your) name
• Customers partial home address
• Hotel room number
• Check in date and check out date
• Customers (your) credit card number and expiration date!

When you turn them into the front desk your personal information is there for any employee to access by simply scanning the card in the hotel scanner. An employee can take a hand full of cards home and using a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop computer and go shopping at your expense.

Simply put, hotels do not erase these cards until an employee issues the card to the next hotel guest. It is usually kept in a drawer at the front desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT!

The bottom line is, keep the cards or destroy them! NEVER leave them behind and NEVER turn them into the front desk when you check out of a room. They will not charge you for the card.

Information courtesy of: Sergeant K. Jorge,
Detective Sergeant,
Pasadena Police Department

Physics news on Phys.org

FAQ: What Information is Embedded in Hotel Key Cards?

1. What is the purpose of the warning about hotel key cards?

The warning about hotel key cards is meant to inform guests about potential security risks associated with these cards and to provide them with tips on how to protect their personal information.

2. What are the security risks associated with hotel key cards?

Hotel key cards can contain personal information, such as credit card details and room numbers, which can be easily accessed by hackers. Additionally, the magnetic strip on the key card can be easily copied, allowing unauthorized access to the guest's room.

3. How can I protect my personal information when using a hotel key card?

To protect your personal information, it is recommended to keep your key card in a separate wallet or RFID-blocking sleeve. You should also avoid using the key card to make purchases or accessing other hotel services, as this can increase the risk of your information being compromised.

4. Should I return my key card when checking out of the hotel?

Yes, it is important to return your key card when checking out of the hotel. This ensures that your personal information is not left behind for others to access. The hotel will also deactivate the key card, making it unusable for any potential hackers.

5. Is it safe to use my key card for multiple purposes, such as room access and purchases?

No, it is not recommended to use your key card for multiple purposes. This increases the risk of your personal information being compromised. It is best to use separate cards for different purposes or to use alternative methods of payment for purchases.